From: Stefan Bellon <bellon@software-erosion.org>
Subject: Re: GNAT and -fstack-check, does it work?
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 13:03:55 +0100
Date: 2007-11-14T13:03:55+01:00	[thread overview]

On Wed, 14 Nov, Niklas Holsti wrote:
> Stefan Bellon wrote:

> > BTW: We are on Debian as well (although always unstable).
>
> Thanks for this information. Can you also say if this happens with
> the environment task stack, or some other (declared) task stack?
> Did you set the GNAT_STACK_LIMIT variable?

I tried with and without setting of GNAT_STACK_LIMIT. I set it to
several values, always same result.

> > Exception name: STORAGE_ERROR
[...]
> > ... whenever I execute an application compiled with our switches:
[...]
> Do I understand correctly that this happens even when your
> application does not really cause stack overflow? That is, you get
> a *spurious* report of stack overflow?

Yes. Without -fstack-check the application runs without any trouble.

> But your
> spurious exceptions seem to be more reliable (systematic) than the
> description of bug 13757 suggests, where it speaks of stack-frame
> alignments depending on the length of the program name and so on.

Yes, it is very reliable, but on the other hand, our project is far
from simple but has a very complex setup. Turning this into a small
reproducer is nothing I can do easily.

--
Stefan Bellon