From: Colin Paul Gloster <Colin_Paul_Gloster@ACM.org>
Subject: Re: High-integrity networking
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 18:03:30 +0200
Date: 2007-10-08T16:03:29+00:00	[thread overview]

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007, Maciej Sobczak wrote:

|"Ravenscar describes the language subset and the usage patterns for   |
|multitasking within a single process."                                |

RAVENSCAR is not about patterns. I do not believe that even Tullio
Vardanega claimed that in his paper "Ravenscar design patterns?:
reflections on use of the Ravenscar profile".

A RAVENSCAR task is a process. Multiple threads inside one process are
not possible in RAVENSCAR.

|"I'm interested in patterns and solutions for high-reliability        |
|networking/middleware.                                                |
|Just "extrapolating" Ravenscar to the distributed environment can lead|
|to some imaginably constrained environment where [..]                 |
|[..], the types (and lengths) of messages are                         |
|known up front, etc.                                                  |
|There are some start-up issues with ensuring all these constraints    |
|(for example, the locations of other nodes would need to be first read|
|from some configuration file/database before the connections can be   |
|established, etc., [..]                                               |

RAVENSCAR is not intrinsically specific to the packet-switching
paradigm.

Regards,
Colin Paul Gloster