From: Stefan Bellon <sbellon@sbellon.de>
Subject: Re: GNAT and large number of threads
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 07:46:42 +0200
Date: 2007-04-27T07:46:42+02:00	[thread overview]

Gene wrote:
> On Apr 26, 6:50 pm, Wiktor Moskwa <wiktorDOTmos...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I'm using GNAT GPL 2006 on Linux x86.
> > Recently I had a problem with creating large number of tasks(*) in
> > my Ada program. I create tasks in a loop and when I reach the limit
> > of stack address space the main thread freezes - no exceptions,
> > nothing.

I made the same observation with GNAT Pro 6.0.1 on x86 GNU/Linux. See
posting <20070418201307.18a85fd9@cube.tz.axivion.com> where I still
thought it's just an effect of context switching eating up all the
time. Later on I noticed that from a certain number of tasks on,
nothing happens anymore at all.

> If you need to exploit an MP environment, then use a task pool of N
> tasks for N processors.

Is there a way of finding out the number of available processors in Ada
(or GNAT) that works at least on GNU/Linux, Windows, and Solaris?

--
Stefan Bellon