From: Robert Love <rblove@airmail.net>
Subject: SBIRS, Ada and Ignorance
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 16:25:21 -0000
Date: 2005-12-22T16:25:21+00:00	[thread overview]

Let me quote from the December 19th "Space News" article entitled
Pentagon Scales Back SBIRS Program.  For those who don't know, SBIRS is
a multi satellite program to detect missile launches via infra red
sensors.  It is way behind and billions over budget, mostly due to the
sensor and bad initial design.

Air Force Sectretary Michael Wynne is quoted as saying:

    One of the biggest problems with SBIRS lies with its opearting
software, which is based on a programming langauge called Ada that was
developed in the 1970's, Wynne said.

   "Ada is a program that is not popular any longer," Wynne said.  "It
is a software design that was literally invented around the time DOS was
invented.  DOS is no longer even being talked about nor should Ada be,
but we still have Ada-based programmers trying to do it."

   The Air Force hopes to use a more modern language like C+ (yes, they
used a single +) for SBIRS follow-on system, Air Force Undersecretary
Ronald Sega told reporters in a Dec. 15 briefing at the Pentagon.

Lord, there is so much wrong here.  Where to start.  Is it even worth it
to try and educate the Air Force?  I suppose I'll try and write one of
these bozos once I calm down but I would say this is a huge slam against
our favorite language.