* Ada Advocacy - Team-Ada
@ 2004-11-25  0:56 David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2004-11-25  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

For those of you that are not familiar there is an e-mail list called
Team-Ada (see the Ada FAQ - http://www.adapower.com/faq - but to make
things short you join by sending the word subscribe to
team-ada@acm.org) where Ada advocacy is discussed.

I've started this evening on the list the first of what I hope will be
many of my suggestions to Juice Up Ada (There was certainly tons of
Juice flowing when the Juice was on trial, perhaps we can get some
going with Ada a bit on trial).

I've posted the following (Please join and respond on Team-Ada@acm.org
for this one):

Welcome to the Team-Ada group therapy session #1

Suggestion #1:
--------------------

A good article written not for academics or professionals, but to
newbies that are just getting in to or interested in programing in
general as to why Ada should be the language they embrace and learn
first (We all know not to learn Basic first ;-).

	Think, if you were a student, would you want to learn anything but
Java or C++ given the current marketplace.

	Most would rather learn almost any language in the world rather than
Ada, Cobol or Fortran....

Personally, I started by doing stuff like looking up on a chart of 8080
instructions and poking the values in memory using trs-80 basic after
converting from hex to decimal, but I am a certified freak who had
nothing better to do when all his friends had Apple and Comodores, and
was nine years old and not thinking about a job, the future, etc...
Other are another matter:

So, the AdaPower challenge for the night - Why should any one learn Ada
as their first language?

Lets go, whose in for a post :-)

David Botton

Love it or hate it, but be passionate about it! Nothing gets done when
you just don't care.
	-- David Botton

* Re: Ada Advocacy - Team-Ada
@ 2004-11-25  8:41 ` Alex R. Mosteo
From: Alex R. Mosteo @ 2004-11-25  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Botton wrote:
> For those of you that are not familiar there is an e-mail list called
>  Team-Ada (see the Ada FAQ - http://www.adapower.com/faq - but to
> make things short you join by sending the word subscribe to
> team-ada@acm.org) where Ada advocacy is discussed.

I've tried to subscribe using the procedure described in the FAQ and
I've got this reply:

Your  message is  being returned  to you  unprocessed because  it looks
  like a LISTSERV command, rather than material intended for
distribution to the members of the TEAM-ADA list. Please note that
LISTSERV commands must ALWAYS be sent to the LISTSERV address; if it was
indeed  a command you were attempting to issue, please  send it  again
to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG for  execution. Otherwise, please accept
our apologies  and try  to rewrite the  message with  a slightly
different wording - for instance, change the first word of the message,
enclose
it  in quotation  marks, insert  a  line of  dashes  at the  beginning
of  your message, etc.

?