* Re: See this critical update for MS Windows
       [not found] <boiq7e$rh$1@list.ege.edu.tr>
@ 2003-11-08 14:32 ` Judson McClendon
From: Judson McClendon @ 2003-11-08 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

I hope everyone realizes that downloading and installing a patch like
this from a newsgroup is like playing Russian roulette. Download all
your Windows patches directly from Microsoft's Windows Update page.
--
Judson McClendon      judmc@sunvaley0.com (remove zero)
Sun Valley Systems     http://sunvaley.com

"Busca" <estddheylm-izvkb@ockei.com> wrote:
MS Partner

this is the latest version of security update, the
"November 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes
all known security vulnerabilities affecting
MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express
as well as three new vulnerabilities.
Install now to maintain the security of your computer
from these vulnerabilities, the most serious of which could
allow an malicious user to run executable on your computer.
This update includes the functionality of all previously released patches.

* Re: See this critical update for MS Windows
@ 2003-11-09  6:56   ` MT Head
From: MT Head @ 2003-11-09  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thus spake "Judson McClendon" <judmc@sunvaley0.com>:

> I hope everyone realizes that downloading and installing a patch like
> this from a newsgroup is like playing Russian roulette. Download all
> your Windows patches directly from Microsoft's Windows Update page.

No, it isn't like Russian roulette - in Russian roulette, you actually have
a chance of survival.  M$ does not EVER post patches to newsgroups, or
email them either - period.  This is the infamous "Swen" virus that we've
all heard about.

* Re: See this critical update for MS Windows
@ 2003-11-09 16:19     ` Bob Hoekstra
From: Bob Hoekstra @ 2003-11-09 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MT Head

MT Head wrote:
> Thus spake "Judson McClendon" <judmc@sunvaley0.com>:
>

>>I hope everyone realizes that downloading and installing a patch like
>>this from a newsgroup is like playing Russian roulette. Download all
>>your Windows patches directly from Microsoft's Windows Update page.
>

> No, it isn't like Russian roulette - in Russian roulette, you actually have
> a chance of survival.  M$ does not EVER post patches to newsgroups, or
> email them either - period.  This is the infamous "Swen" virus that we've
> all heard about.

Actually, if you're playing "classic" Russin Roulette, with a single bullet
  and 5 empty chambers and spinning the chamber between shots, your chances
are pretty good as the chamber is more likely to stop spining before the
bullet reaches the top position. Of course this changes if you hold the
revolver upside down while spinning the chamber or if you don't spin
between shots.

IMHO, your particular chance of survival is a lot better if you remove MS
products from your PC altogether. There are plenty of alternatives, just
look for them. If you insist on spending some money, you could do worse
than checking out http://www.sun.com/2003-1104/feature/?AssociateId=NEWS68

But whatever you do, please etop posting this kind of thing to
comp.lang.apl - this is way, way off topic.

--

Bob Hoekstra: APL & Unix Consultant
Telephone:    +44 1483 771028