From: David Holm <david@realityrift.com>
Subject: Re: Ada OpenGL bindings, how to use them with gnat ?
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:59:08 GMT
Date: 2003-07-22T14:59:08+00:00	[thread overview]

Hi,

On 22 Jul 2003 07:28:25 -0700
fab102@bluemail.ch (Karim) wrote:

> Hello
>
> I`m back. After looked in a lot of mailing lists and irc. It seems
> that Nvidia and mesa don`t work nice on the same system. There are
> some tools for linux to switch between the mesa and nvidia libs, but I
> couldn`t find anything for FreeBSD. I never had this problem with my
> old 3dfx Banshee Card.

Too bad 3dfx went belly up. I've never used glide but from what I hear you can do really nifty
stuff with it =).

> David: Which card do you have installed on your FreeBSD system ?

A GeForce 2 GTS, but I switched to Gentoo GNU/Linux so at the moment I only have FreeBSD on my
server. Although I compile ada stuff on it some times and forward the output to my desktop =).

> Somebody told me to install mesa and Nvidia in diffrent directories
> and switch between it with LD_LIBRARY_PATH. But I don`t know, how that
>  work nor how to install mesa (as port package) in a diffrent
> directory. I tried to re-insatll Nvidia but got some errors from it.
> Now, I have setup a new FreeBSD system, and have both installed. I
> even didn`t found libGL.a .. it seems that this library isn`t
> installed on my system. Hell, I cannot through this library mess.

Why do you want both Mesa and nVidia? Look for files called /usr/X11R6/lib/XXX-*, this is what
nVidia renames the existing libGL libraries to. If you have an XXX-libGL.a.%%.orig-<date> rename
it to libGL.a and it should work.
I don't think you should have both Mesa and nVidia though. That is asking for trouble.

//David Holm