From: Mr. Caffiene <nospam@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: Help! (Ada/Integrity/PEG)
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 10:35:55 GMT
Date: 2001-12-25T10:35:55+00:00	[thread overview]

On Tue, 25 Dec 2001 03:20:25 GMT
tmoran@acm.org wrote:

> > 2.  As either task can insert information into the qeue, I use a semaphore
> > to control when either task can access.  A semaphore is a concept from the
> > Unix world ...
>   If I understand what you're doing, an Ada "protected record" would be
> just the ticket here.  The queue data is hidden inside and the routines
> to insert/remove items are visible, but only one routine is allowed to
> execute at a time, so two tasks can't step on each other's feet.
> Essentially you let the compiler handle the semaphore for you, making
> your life simpler and less subject to mistakes, and the compiler
> run-time probably does the job more efficiently.

Hmmmm...I dont doubt that it's simpler.

I'll test that method out. I'm curious how much of a performance penalty
the compiler runtime would cause. I'm used to explicitly declaring and
controlling the memory from scratch(likely due to my C and Assembler roots)
however an implicit run-time just might prove to be more effective in this
particular task.

I'll let you know what I discover.

Mr. Caffiene

Merry X-mas