From: Brian Rogoff <bpr@shell5.ba.best.com>
Subject: Re: why? US Army Ada software converted to C++?
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2001 21:22:41 GMT
Date: 2001-10-07T21:22:41+00:00	[thread overview]

On Sun, 7 Oct 2001 tmoran@acm.org wrote:
> >One of the most common reasons I hear for contractors moving from Ada is
>   It would surely help if Ada programming wasn't all located in less
> desirable locales.

I agree very strongly with this sentiment, and the other one which pointed
out the lower pay scales for Ada. It would be great to find Ada projects
but there just don't seem to be any in Silicon Valley, and the few I've
seen have salaries at the very low end.

> <gd&r> from beautiful Silicon Valley, where the weather is great, but

You forgot to mention that the traffic problems have all but vanished too.
101 is now a speed limit, not the number of minutes it takes to travel 10
miles :-).

> Ada programmers have a *very* low profile. ;)

Indeed. And all of this talk of switching to C++ for weapons systems is
scary. I guess we can be thankful that the DOD hasn't switched to Perl,
yet...

-- Brian