From: kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: Re: Pragma Inline and its Effects of Compilation Dependencies.
Date: 2000/03/22
Date: 2000-03-22T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <8b94tg$9jt$1@nnrp1.deja.com>, Robert Dewar <dewar@gnat.com> writes:

> You miss the point. The Ada 83 library approach is based on the
> idea that a compilation NEVER accesses anything that has not
> been previously compiled. That is quite fundamental to the
> model. If you are talking about looking at sources of things
> that have not been compiled yet, then you are talking about
> the other model (the source based model).
>
> Once again, to be clear, the classical Ada 83 model has a
> compilation process that is
>
>     library  x  single-source  ---------->  updated library
>                                  compile
>
> The source based model has a quite different compilation
> process that looks like
>
>     all-other-sources x one identified source ------->  object
>                                                compile

How would you classify a mechanism like the DEC Ada command
ACS LOAD ?  From my perspective as a user it takes away any
need for me to worry about the order of compilation even on
a clean build to an empty library.

Certainly the fact that it looks at all the sources takes
more time, but my general experience is that there are only
two categories of compilation durations:

	short enough that I will sit and wait

	long enough that I will go do something else

Larry Kilgallen