* Ada and OpenVMS
@ 2000-03-15  0:00 Vladimir Olensky
From: Vladimir Olensky @ 2000-03-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

It is interesting to know the current status of
GNAT  for OpenVMS (and other Ada systems).

 At ACT and Compaq pages  there are  references to
GNAT 3.11 though we have now 3.12p as public GNAT
version and 3.13 as commercially supported product.

 Is the work with GNAT for OpenVMS  suspended or
there are some other reasons why that work is lagging
behind ?

What is a future of GNAT for OpenVMS and Galaxy ???

Also it would be interesting to know if Bailey (which now
is part of ABB) is using Ada for it's automatic control
systems that are built on OpenVMS platform.
May be someone knows something about that ???

I have practical interest to this as pretty soon  my
responsibilities area will be expanded to  partially
support of one of the very big Bailey  automatic control
systems and it's interaction with other  IT infrastructures
and I see here some possibilities for Ada.

Regards,
Vladimir Olensky

* Re: Ada and OpenVMS
@ 2000-03-15  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-03-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <scuvelop9n121@corp.supernews.com>,
  "Vladimir Olensky" <vladimir_olensky@yahoo.com> wrote:

> It is interesting to know the current status of
> GNAT  for OpenVMS (and other Ada systems).

GNAT for OpenVMS is fully supported. The current version of
GNAT professional for this platform is 3.12a1, and there is
a public release 3.13.

>  At ACT and Compaq pages  there are  references to
> GNAT 3.11 though we have now 3.12p as public GNAT
> version and 3.13 as commercially supported product.

Version 3.13 was only released yesterday (for any target),
so the above statement is just wrong.

I can't find any reference
to 3.11 on our web site, if there is such a reference
it is obsolete. The Compaq pages often do not get
updated immediately, but we will check into this.

>  Is the work with GNAT for OpenVMS  suspended?

No

> Is there are some other reasons why that work is lagging
> behind ?

It is not. This is an invention. The VMS version is fully
supported and at the same level as all other versions.

> What is a future of GNAT for OpenVMS and Galaxy ???

For future plans, contact sales@gnat.com

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Ada and OpenVMS
@ 2000-03-15  0:00   ` Vladimir Olensky
From: Vladimir Olensky @ 2000-03-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar wrote in message <8ao2ks$i9c$1@nnrp1.deja.com>...
>In article <scuvelop9n121@corp.supernews.com>,
>  "Vladimir Olensky" <vladimir_olensky@yahoo.com> wrote:

>GNAT for OpenVMS is fully supported. The current version of
>GNAT professional for this platform is 3.12a1, and there is
>a public release 3.13.
>>
>>  At ACT and Compaq pages  there are  references to
>> GNAT 3.11 though we have now 3.12p as public GNAT
>> version and 3.13 as commercially supported product.
>
>Version 3.13 was only released yesterday (for any target),
>so the above statement is just wrong.
>
>I can't find any reference
>to 3.11 on our web site, if there is such a reference
>it is obsolete. The Compaq pages often do not get
>updated immediately, but we will check into this.

Thanks for info.
There was three factors that caused
misunderstanding regarding this issue:

1. Compaq reference to GNAT 3.11.

2. No info about current version of the supported
 product on the ACT site (on VMS platform page).

3. Open VMS GNAT public version on the cs.nyu.edu
is still GNAT311P-OPENVMS7_1.EXE

Your response was very helpful.

Thanks and regards,
Vladimir Olensky

* Re: Ada and OpenVMS
@ 2000-03-16  0:00 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2000-03-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <scuvelop9n121@corp.supernews.com>, "Vladimir Olensky" <vladimir_olensky@yahoo.com> writes:

> What is a future of GNAT for OpenVMS and Galaxy ???

I know a lot more about Galaxy and VMS than I do about GNAT,
but it seems to me the only possible change in GNAT that
might make it easier to use Galaxy would be bringing the
Starlet declarations up to date so they reflect the new
system services.  If that has not been done, or will not
be done, an individual shop can of course add declarations
for the new system services based on published Galaxy
documentation.

There are other aspects of VMS operations, such as
DECthreads, per-thread Security, 64-bit addressing, etc.
that are likely of interest for project large enough to
consider Galaxy, and compiler support may be relevant.
For Galaxy itself, however, there is not much a compiler
can do to get in your way that is different from the non-
Galaxy environment.

And for those of us who are not so rich, it is possible
to configure your single-user Alpha workstation as a
pseudo-Galaxy.  The Galaxy system services will all
work -- you will just be missing the other instances,
which might affect your timing interactions.

* Re: Ada and OpenVMS
@ 2000-03-16  0:00   ` F. Britt Snodgrass
From: F. Britt Snodgrass @ 2000-03-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry Kilgallen wrote:

> In article <scuvelop9n121@corp.supernews.com>, "Vladimir Olensky" <vladimir_olensky@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > What is a future of GNAT for OpenVMS and Galaxy ???
>
> I know a lot more about Galaxy and VMS than I do about GNAT,

I've used VMS but not for application development.  What is Galaxy?

Britt

From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2000-03-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <38D109A1.D518C9BB@acm.org>, "F. Britt Snodgrass" <britt@acm.org> writes:

> Larry Kilgallen wrote:
>>
>> In article <scuvelop9n121@corp.supernews.com>, "Vladimir Olensky" <vladimir_olensky@yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>> > What is a future of GNAT for OpenVMS and Galaxy ???
>>
>> I know a lot more about Galaxy and VMS than I do about GNAT,
>
> I've used VMS but not for application development.  What is Galaxy?

Galaxy is an Alpha VMS (V7.2 and higher) feature that allows multiple
SMP systems in the same box to share resources, sometimes in parallel,
sometimes sequentially.  For instance, shared memory global sections
can cross the boundary between 2 (or more) sets of SMP processors
each running their own copy of VMS.  N-1 of the processors in one
"instance" (SMP set) can move to another instance via drag-and-drop.

Regular discussions of how this is good, bad, or indifferent are
held in comp.os.vms (with a very active participant from Sun saying
it doesn't help).  From the Ada perspective, however, the programming
environment is so similar to normal VMS that the issue of "compiler
support" is close to nonexistent.