* Forget about ada and start learning something like java ,visual basic and c++
@ 2000-02-04  0:00 HollymaN
From: HollymaN @ 2000-02-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

if you wanna increase your chance of getting a job.
haven't you noticed the trouble you get in when you try to do the things new
develoopement tools (java visual basic ...)can do.there's no good tools not
enough libraries,objects....and documentation sucks.
please if you are A professor in a university don't reply (cause professors
usually are disconnected from reality and have an artistic look at
programming  they don't care about real jobs they have a guaranteed one)

* Re: Forget about ada and start learning something like java ,visual basic and c++
@ 2000-02-04  0:00 ` Mike Silva
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Mike Silva @ 2000-02-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

wow I do wanna increase my chance of getting a job so I guess I'll do what
you say cause you seem to be really smart and you have A really excellent
way of writing to.i cant wait too be the first person to write an engine
controller in visual basic that will just be awesome.lucky for me I'm not a
artistic professor cause otherwise i would'nT have got to reply and I really
wanted to say how much youve changed my life...the internet is just so kewl!
Bye!

@ 2000-02-06  0:00 ` wsheehannews
From: wsheehannews @ 2000-02-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

From someone out of work since Halloween who
developed in ADA.  You are right!!!

Learn Java.
Learn Java.
Learn Java.

Get the Idea? Learn Java.
AT least learn Visual Basic or something marketable!!!

* Re: Forget about ada and start learning something like java ,visual basic and c++
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-02-06  0:00 ` reason67
From: reason67 @ 2000-02-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <TmGm4.6779$vl6.104516@news20.bellglobal.com>,
  "HollymaN" <hollyman@usa.net> wrote:
> if you wanna increase your chance of getting a job.
> haven't you noticed the trouble you get in when you try to do the
things new
> develoopement tools (java visual basic ...)can do.there's no good
tools not
> enough libraries,objects....and documentation sucks.
> please if you are A professor in a university don't reply (cause
professors
> usually are disconnected from reality and have an artistic look at
> programming  they don't care about real jobs they have a guaranteed
one)

Never had a problem before. I am a little confused why you think that I
would have a problem now.
---
Jeffrey Blatt

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Forget about ada and start learning something like java ,visual basic and c++
@ 2000-02-06  0:00 ` Gautier
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Gautier @ 2000-02-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> [...] cause professors
> usually are disconnected from reality and have an artistic look at
> programming  they don't care about real jobs they have a guaranteed one

They are so disconnected that most of them believe that Java is the real new thing
used everywhere in industry, and teach Java! Would they really be connected,
they would teach Cobol, Fortran, Visual Basic!

But the idea in Universities is to teach general programming with something
more advanced than the mainstream tools - they (and most employers) assume
that you are smart enough to read books for doing Java applets or learn Excel &
VBA when needed.

G.

* Re: Forget about ada and start learning something like java ,visual basic and c++
@ 2000-02-06  0:00   ` Marin D. Condic
From: Marin D. Condic @ 2000-02-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kent Paul Dolan wrote:

> You know, between trolling for a religious war in favor of children's
> programming languages, and insulting more than half your audience, you
> sure do know how to carry an argument right from the initial posting.

It's almost not worth the bits to address the people who post the "why
should I bother learning Ada..." messages, Kent. Except for the fact
that perhaps someone else may be listening and be persuaded. A student
who asks this sort of question is probably also asking "Why should I
learn History, Geography and English Grammar since it won't get me a
job?" Clearly they don't understand the difference between Education and
Training.

What disturbs me are the students with so little imagination that they
can't see themselves working as a positive force to bring about change.
Sure, the world is currently enamoured with Java right now. But Java
didn't always exist and won't always be the popular thing. If Ada is
superior in many domains (and I believe it is), then the mission should
be to go forth and "make it so"! The message we should promote is to
learn the language because it teaches valuable concepts that work
everywhere. Having learned it, the message should be to use what
influence you have to promote its use where it makes sense.

I'd like to encourage the students who are willing to open their minds a
little to learn Ada because it is a good thing and then contribute to
making it more successful. Who knows? Maybe some of them will gang up
and use their brains to develop some of the spiffy tools that will help
to make it more popular? They might even invent something that enables
them to turn it into a full time job. They might even make a fortune
along the way. It has happened before.

MDC
Marin David Condic   - Quadrus Corporation -   1.800.555.3393
1015-116 Atlantic Boulevard, Atlantic Beach, FL 32233
http://www.quadruscorp.com/
m c o n d i c @ q u a d r u s c o r p . c o m

Visit my web site at:  http://www.mcondic.com/

"Capitalism without failure is like religion without sin."
        --  Allan Meltzer, Economist

* Re: Forget about ada and start learning something like java ,visual basic and c++
@ 2000-02-07  0:00   ` Gareth
From: Gareth @ 2000-02-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 6 Feb 2000 15:27:52 -0500, "wsheehannews" <wsheehan@wans.net>
wrote:

>From someone out of work since Halloween who
>developed in ADA.  You are right!!!
>
>Learn Java.
>Learn Java.
>Learn Java.
>
>Get the Idea? Learn Java.
>AT least learn Visual Basic or something marketable!!!

If you can program in Ada, you can learn to program in Java.

As a test for the third year students last year, the lecturers decided
to "suddenly" intruduce Java for a large-scale final year project
(designed for the Computer Science students, but the Engineering
students did it also).

We had two weeks to learn the language in order to begin the project,
and since Java uses OOP, etc.... it was just a matter of learning the
syntax and the rest just fell in place from our knowledge of Ada and
with the help of a good Java book.

I've never attempted C++, but since Java was partially derived from
the C++ syntax, I'd assume C++ would be even easier to learn for me.

And as for Visual Basic... I never did like that language - but then
again, I don't like programming on the Windows platform. It's just too
mainstream for me, and "every man and his dog" is learning VB (and
C++).....

... so you may think that by not learning VB or the other "marketable"
languages, I'm not going to be able to find a job - but as long as
people still have real-time systems running Ada, they'll always be a
need for Ada programmers.

And even though I am reasonably good with Java, and will learn C++
before I graduate, if I was going to program I'd do it in Ada -
programming for mission-critical environments is much more exciting
than sitting in a large room with a thousand other typing monkeys
producing Microsoft code.

(Although I'm actually supposed to be an engineering student, so I'm
majoring in digital VLSI design - in other words, microprocessor
design, not programming, so I'll probably end up designing hardware).

- Gareth
4th year Engineering student

* Re: Forget about ada and start learning something like java ,visual basic and c++
@ 2000-02-07  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-02-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <389dd963@netmonnt.wans.net>,
  "wsheehannews" <wsheehan@wans.net> wrote:

> From someone out of work since Halloween who
> developed in ADA.  You are right!!!

Hmmm! somone who actually programmed in Ada, and never
learned the name of the language :-)

It may seem harsh to say so, but good Ada programmers
are in short supply, and can easily find jobs! In general
it is skill and competence that determine whether you
get and keep a good job, not the list of languages on
your resume.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Forget about ada and start learning something like java ,visual basic and c++
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-02-07  0:00 ` Kent Paul Dolan
From: Kent Paul Dolan @ 2000-02-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

You know, between trolling for a religious war in favor of children's
programming languages, and insulting more than half your audience, you
sure do know how to carry an argument right from the initial posting.

Could you please carry it to somewhere such discussion tactics are
welcome?  Folks here who have had the good fortune to be permitted Ada
as a primary programming language have probably already had the chance
to consider the more "popular" languages and made reasoned decisions to
choose otherwise that you are not yet educated enough to understand,
much less discuss.

Drop by again when your voice finishes changing.

Xanthian.
--
Kent, the man from xanth. | Can we hurry this up? | Reputed net.scum Latter
Kent Paul Dolan.          | I have places to go,  | Day Saint propagandist

* Re: Forget about ada and start learning something like java ,visual basic and c++
@ 2000-02-07  0:00     ` Gareth
From: Gareth @ 2000-02-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>I'd like to encourage the students who are willing to open their minds a
>little to learn Ada because it is a good thing and then contribute to
>making it more successful. Who knows? Maybe some of them will gang up
>and use their brains to develop some of the spiffy tools that will help
>to make it more popular?

The lack of tools can be quite off-putting at times, I must agree.

My major problem with Ada is the lack of tools to create a Win95/98/NT
program with a *native* Win95/98/NT GUI.

I've yet to see a freeware tool that will allow me to create a menu
system for my Ada applications (running on the Windows OS) that
actually looks like an MS Windows system.

- Gareth

* Re: Forget about ada and start learning something like java ,visual basic and c++
@ 2000-02-07  0:00       ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2000-02-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <389e8bb6.617527@news.chariot.net.au>, groth@chariot.net.au (Gareth) writes:

> My major problem with Ada is the lack of tools to create a Win95/98/NT
> program with a *native* Win95/98/NT GUI.

The results of ObjectAda for Windows seem quite "native" to me.

> I've yet to see a freeware tool that will allow me to create a menu
> system for my Ada applications (running on the Windows OS) that
> actually looks like an MS Windows system.

But if you restrict the available solutions to freeware, you get what
freeware authors want to provide, and their tastes often will not run
to the Microsoft standards.

* Re: Forget about ada and start learning something like java ,visual basic and c++
@ 2000-02-07  0:00       ` Marin D. Condic
From: Marin D. Condic @ 2000-02-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gareth wrote:
> My major problem with Ada is the lack of tools to create a Win95/98/NT
> program with a *native* Win95/98/NT GUI.

Look at CLAW by RR software. It works pretty well.
http://www.rrsoftware.com/

> I've yet to see a freeware tool that will allow me to create a menu
> system for my Ada applications (running on the Windows OS) that
> actually looks like an MS Windows system.

They have a demo version that is free for the download. The full-up
version is not very expensive so even if not free, it is possible for
the average programmer to afford it. I plan on buying a copy as soon as
I can get that elusive "round tuit" :-)