From: "Robert C. Leif, Ph.D." <rleif@MAIL.CTS.COM>
Subject: ADA COMMON ENVIRONMENT (comments)
Date: 1996/10/30
Date: 1996-10-30T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

From Bob Leif

To: Mark Taube et al.

Date:    Mon, 21 Oct 1996 07:30:20 -0400

I agree with " Why not define the specs as standardized public domain
and allow vendors to make whatever body implementations they want. The Ada
community needs portability between Ada implementations which doesn't exist
in the Ada83 world."

My suggestion is to build the Ada API on or employing HTML for the screens.
I believe that is what Microsoft is doing for the next version of Windows. A
short term approach is to make the new Ada environment work within the net
browsers, such as Netscape.

One long term approach is to reimplement the necessary JAVA parts of the
Intermetrics' Ada to J code compiler environment in Ada 95 to run directly
under the operating systems. This would provide compiled code for each
operating system. This last step may not be necessary If, as expected,
native code JAVA compilers are created or J code to object code systems are
implemented.

Hopefully, there would also be a means to make the HTML system CORBA
compliant. The Ada community should also take a look at the new WebObjects
Enterprise from NeXT Software Inc. http://www.next.com
>The Ada Common Environment Working Group of the Ada Resource Association
>is accepting candidates for adoption as "Ada Common Environment
>Bindings."  One binding from each area will be designated as "ARA Common"
>and will be recognized by member companies of the Ada Common Environment
>Working Group.
Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.
Ada_Med