* Olympics Programming Language?
@ 1996-07-23  0:00 Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.
From: Robert C. Leif, Ph.D. @ 1996-07-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Bob Leif
I just can not resist asking the question, what language(s) did IBM use to
program their system for the 1996 Olympics.

Thank you,
Bob Leif
Robert C. Leif, Ph.D., PMIAC,
Vice President & Research Director
Ada_Med, A Division of Newport Instruments
Tel. & Fax (619) 582-0437

* Re: Olympics Programming Language?
@ 1996-07-24  0:00 ` Dave Marshall
From: Dave Marshall @ 1996-07-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robert C. Leif, Ph.D." <rleif@MAIL.CTS.COM> writes:

>From: Bob Leif
>I just can not resist asking the question, what language(s) did IBM use to
>program their system for the 1996 Olympics.

>Thank you,
>Bob Leif
>Robert C. Leif, Ph.D., PMIAC,
>Vice President & Research Director
>Ada_Med, A Division of Newport Instruments
>Tel. & Fax (619) 582-0437

My (flawed) proof that it was some language other than Ada is that had such
software been written in Ada, we'd be wading through hundreds of articles
telling us all about why choosing Ada was a BAD IDEA.
--
Dave Marshall
dmarshal@netcom.com

* Re: Olympics Programming Language?
@ 1996-07-24  0:00 ` Theodore E. Dennison
From: Theodore E. Dennison @ 1996-07-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert C. Leif, Ph.D. wrote:
> I just can not resist asking the question, what language(s) did IBM use to
> program their system for the 1996 Olympics.

The same thought briefly hit my head.

I understand that the CEO of IBM had to go to Altanta himself to smooth out
the ruffled feathers. Thus you can probably get the answer to your question
by going down to your company's HR department and looking at the resume's
the the system's developers just sent in. :-)

--
T.E.D.
                |  Work - mailto:dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com  |

* Re: Olympics Programming Language?
@ 1996-07-25  0:00   ` Bob Kitzberger
From: Bob Kitzberger @ 1996-07-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

The problems listed on the on-line Wall Street Journal (www.wsj.com)
pointed quite a bit at hardware "duhs" -- like using 9600 baud
modems for connectivity, and upgrading to 38kbps after the games
started.  9600 baud?  I'm too young to remember those days :-)

--
Bob Kitzberger	      Rational Software Corporation       rlk@rational.com
http://www.rational.com http://www.rational.com/pst/products/testmate.html