* VHDL
@ 1996-07-10  0:00 Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.
From: Robert C. Leif, Ph.D. @ 1996-07-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Bob Leif
To: P. Cnudde & Comp.Lang.Ada

You Wrote:
Begin quote
-------------
Date:    Tue, 9 Jul 1996 12:49:03 +0200
From:    "P. Cnudde VH14 (8218)" <cnuddep@SH.BEL.ALCATEL.BE>
Subject: ADA - VHDL

Hello,

As a "experienced" VHDL programmer and now looking for the
first time really into ADA I have some historical questions
and I hoped that somebody on those two newsgroups could help me
making some points more clear.

I agree there are a lot of similarities between the languages, but I do
not understand the reason for many differences. There are things which
I can not do in VHDL which I can in ADA and for which I see no reason.
 some examples:
        type new Integer;
        generics;
        variant records

on the other hand there are also points which are more flexible in VHDL

I also see no reason for some syntax differences ("to" in VHDL, ".." in ADA)

I agree the differences may be small but to my opinion it will cause problems
in the future where hardware-software codesign will come a reality and a
single language we be needed. I think that VHDL-ADA is a very powerful
combination
but would it not be possible to get the small differences between the
languages out
of way and grow to a single language capable of describing both: VHDL-ADA-2000

What are the opinions of the experts on this point?

Regards,
-----------
End Quote;

I am not an expert. However, the two languages should be harmonized into
one. The circuit design functionality of VHDL would then become one or more
Ada annexes. The combination would achieve synergy and thus could obtain a
greater market share than the sum of both languages. Since there is US
Government funding involved with maintaining both languages, some savings
would be expected.

You omitted that VHDL did not have a method for inheritance. Ada 95 is
excellent in this regard. I agree that when one designs a system, there is
no way to predict over a 10 to 20 year life span what will be implemented in
hardware and what will be software. It also would be elegant  to take a
section of Ada code and compile it as an integrated circuit design.

Yours
Bob Leif
Robert C. Leif, Ph.D., PMIAC,
Vice President & Research Director
Ada_Med, A Division of Newport Instruments
Tel. & Fax (619) 582-0437

only message in thread, other threads:[~1996-07-10  0:00 UTC | newest]