From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: Cairo Bindings now added to Gnoga
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 10:06:49 +0100
Date: 2014-10-29T10:06:49+01:00	[thread overview]

On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 15:18:31 -0700 (PDT), David Botton wrote:

>> But why not to use the native backend then?
>
> When running a Gnoga app local it will be possible to transfer the entire
> image in memory to the browser and so as fast as in Gtk.

So the procedure is that at the refresh rate you create a new surface, do
all drawing into its context, get the image bits, send them out, destroy
the surface. Is it so?

> Keep in mind that
> even over websockets you can achieve easily 20-30fps second in many
> situations and if transfering SVG even faster.

You need 10ms (100Hz) for things like running waveforms and very stable
latencies (magnitude is unimportant). Otherwise the output would look
jerky.

> In fact one area I think that Gnoga will shine in the long term is its use
> in embedded systems to provide a remote GUI.

Yes, that's the idea. Somehow to work around porting all non-portable GTK
stuff. I thought that GTK with the Broadway backend would become portable
and small, because all the mess with themes etc would move to the remote
host.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov