From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: [ANN] Ada bindimgs to gtkdatabox
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 23:17:29 +0100
Date: 2010-12-07T23:17:29+01:00	[thread overview]

On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 22:14:47 +0100, Per Sandberg wrote:

> On 12/07/2010 09:54 PM, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
>> On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 21:33:52 +0100, Per Sandberg wrote:
>>
>>> Ther is now a binding to gtkdatabox located on:
>>>      https://github.com/persan/A-gtkdatabox
>>
>> Does it use time stamps on the X axis (i.e. oscilloscope), or is it just a
>> XY plot?
> Its basicly an XY plot with float values.

I considered porting a C++ library that does the oscilloscope to Cairo Ada,
but I am not so sure now.

>> Is it based on cairo?
> Have not thought about it, i was looking a widget that made it possible
> to build a simple UI for a pc-oscilloscope.

Cairo looks a good choice. There are excellent Cairo Ada bindings by Damien
Carbonne.

Considering oscilloscope implementation there is a problem. I don't know
how to get a BitBlt under Gdk or Cairo, which would be essential for good
performance of scrolling.

>> How does it handle the case when several data points must be rendered in
>> one-pixel horizontal width?
> Have not looked deeper into the scaling effects when several X-values
> should be rendered one pixel wide, but it seems like a mean value is drawn.

I see, not a min-to-max vertical bar (the correct behavior).

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov