* AdaNET (was Re: Electronic copy of LRM)
@ 1993-04-30 16:54 Stephen J Bevan
From: Stephen J Bevan @ 1993-04-30 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1rm59o$gdi@a.wvnet.edu> mprice@adanet.wvnet.edu (Margie Price) writ
es:
   AdaNET is a NASA sponsored repository.  We try to acquire and distribute
   public domain software, as many as possible.  We classify the software
   and we run them through the ADADL tool to get some metrics and declaration &
   invocation tree reports.

   This is a research project, all the services are free of charge to promote
   reuse to everyone in industry, government and academia.  We have more than
   750 clients, and we try to serve as many people as possible.
   (800) 444-1458 for more information.

Is the code available by anonymous ftp?  (With the obvious: if not, why not?)

* Re: AdaNET (was Re: Electronic copy of LRM)
@ 1993-05-03 16:17 cis.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!darwi
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!darwi @ 1993-05-03 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

: Is the code available by anonymous ftp?  (With the obvious: if not, why not?

  AdaNET is not accessible by anonymous ftp.  This is a research project,
  and our contract states that we must track usage of the repository.

  Margie Price

* Re: AdaNET (was Re: Electronic copy of LRM)
@ 1993-05-03 17:53 Gregory Aharonian
From: Gregory Aharonian @ 1993-05-03 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

>  AdaNET is not accessible by anonymous ftp.  This is a research project,
>  and our contract states that we must track usage of the repository.

   What do you mean by usage?  If it just means tracking who is acquiring
components, that capability is already built into anonymous-ftp, since
people usually have to identify themselves to access an anonymous ftp site.
Some of these excuses for locking up access to federally funded repositories
are starting to sound pretty lame.

Greg Aharonian
Greg Aharonian
Source Translation & Optimiztion
P.O. Box 404, Belmont, MA 02178

* Re: AdaNET (was Re: Electronic copy of LRM)
@ 1993-05-04  5:34 cis.ohio-state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!wu
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!wu @ 1993-05-04  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <SRCTRAN.93May3125357@world.std.com> srctran@world.std.com (Gregory
Aharonian) writes:

>>  AdaNET is not accessible by anonymous ftp.  This is a research project,
>>  and our contract states that we must track usage of the repository.
>
>   What do you mean by usage?  If it just means tracking who is acquiring
>components, that capability is already built into anonymous-ftp, since
>people usually have to identify themselves to access an anonymous ftp site.
Not quite, Greg. Anonymous ftp _asks_ for your login ID as a password,
but in fact you can type anything; most folks just use "guest".

>Some of these excuses for locking up access to federally funded repositories
>are starting to sound pretty lame.
Well, here I'll come to AdaNET's defense. It's easy and free to get an
account, and there is none of the bureaucracy and off-putting language
associated with ASSET. I don't know if AdaNET has switched to allowing you
to sign up completely electronically; if not, they should. But I wouldn't
hold it againast them for asking you to get an account. It really is
better for them to track the number of distinct users rather than just the
number of times an anonymous user grabs a file. I don't have a problem
with that, Greg.

Is a brief AdaNET blurb part of the FAQ these days? It oughta be.

Mike Feldman

* Re: AdaNET (was Re: Electronic copy of LRM)
@ 1993-05-04 22:40 Mark Bayern
From: Mark Bayern @ 1993-05-04 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Aharonian) writes:

>>>  AdaNET is not accessible by anonymous ftp.  This is a research project,
>>>  and our contract states that we must track usage of the repository.
>>
>>   What do you mean by usage?  If it just means tracking who is acquiring
>>components, that capability is already built into anonymous-ftp, since
>>people usually have to identify themselves to access an anonymous ftp site.
>Not quite, Greg. Anonymous ftp _asks_ for your login ID as a password,
>but in fact you can type anything; most folks just use "guest".
>
>>Some of these excuses for locking up access to federally funded repositories
>>are starting to sound pretty lame.

Greg,

What really ought to bug you about AdaNET is not the easy access
(yes, it is easy to get an account), but the fact that I can call an
800 number and request software.  They then send it on diskettes
(in my requested format) to me for _free!_.  Its a neat deal if they
have the stuff I'm looking for.  However, if I was in the business,
I'd really resent the govt funded competition.

Mark

* Re: AdaNET (was Re: Electronic copy of LRM)
@ 1993-05-05  1:19 Robert Kitzberger
From: Robert Kitzberger @ 1993-05-05  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) writes:

>It really is
>better for them to track the number of distinct users rather than just the
>number of times an anonymous user grabs a file.

I think that Greg was referring to the convention in anonymous-ftp-land
that you log in as "anonymous" and use the password to specify who you
are, for accounting purposes (e.g. "rlk@rational.com").  There is
nothing that forces you to use your userid as the password, however.

	.Bob.
Bob Kitzberger                          Internet:   rlk@rational.com
Rational, Grass Valley, CA              CompuServe: 70743,1550
type Opinion is private;

* Re: AdaNET (was Re: Electronic copy of LRM)
@ 1993-05-08  9:38 cis.ohio-state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!howland.
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!howland. @ 1993-05-08  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1s3gj6$4bv@a.wvnet.edu> mprice@adanet.wvnet.edu (Margie Price) writ
es:
   I asked :
   : Is the code available by anonymous ftp?  (With the obvious: if
   : not, why not?

  AdaNET is not accessible by anonymous ftp.  This is a research project,
  and our contract states that we must track usage of the repository.

The group I work for has the same requirement on the software it
distributes.  The solution used is an ftp server that logs all
transactions.  Simple scripts can then be used to extract the required
information.  Is this not feasible for AdaNET?

* Re: AdaNET (was Re: Electronic copy of LRM)
@ 1993-05-10 15:13 cis.ohio-state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.m
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.m @ 1993-05-10 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <rlk.736564754@pelton> rlk@pelton.Rational.COM (Robert Kitzberger) w
rites:
>mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) writes:
>
>>It really is
>>better for them to track the number of distinct users rather than just the
>>number of times an anonymous user grabs a file.
>
>I think that Greg was referring to the convention in anonymous-ftp-land
>that you log in as "anonymous" and use the password to specify who you
>are, for accounting purposes (e.g. "rlk@rational.com").  There is
>nothing that forces you to use your userid as the password, however.

Try using a badly wrong site-name at ftp.uu.net...  There are several
others around that track things lots better than the stock bsd ftpd.
In fact, most of the major sites use them now.
There isn't a way to enforce the user-id, however, and at least one of
the servers doesn't handle (decently) the case where a system's PTR and
(usual) mail names are different.

-- Pete

* Re: AdaNET (was Re: Electronic copy of LRM)
@ 1993-05-11  7:07 Stephen J Bevan
From: Stephen J Bevan @ 1993-05-11  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1993May4.053458.18733@seas.gwu.edu> mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael
Feldman) writes:

   Anonymous ftp _asks_ for your login ID as a password, but in fact
   you can type anything; most folks just use "guest".

I don't want to drag this out, but I just thought I'd not that the
above is not necessarily true.  As I mentioned in a previous post, we
run an anonymous ftp which is logged for funding reasons, and at least
90% of the users use their real email address.  Even if the users
email address is bogus, you still get the site name and you can be
assured that this is valid if you authenticate the site name before
allowing a login (using reverse lookup as they attempt to login).

* Re: AdaNET (was Re: Electronic copy of LRM)
@ 1993-05-14 23:18 Laurence VanDolsen
From: Laurence VanDolsen @ 1993-05-14 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <BEVAN.93May11080744@tiger.cs.man.ac.uk> bevan@tiger.cs.man.ac.uk (S
tephen J Bevan) writes:

[all about anonymous ftp]

Everybody seems to be missing the point.  Keeping track of usage is a
great deal more than simply having a list of email addresses.  The ASSET
folks also need to know WHY, WHAT, etc.  It is easy to sign up, just
send email to beank@source.asset.com and ask.  She'll send you the
forms.

* Re: AdaNET (was Re: Electronic copy of LRM)
@ 1993-05-20 16:50 Step hen J Bevan
From: Step hen J Bevan @ 1993-05-20 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

 (Stephen J Bevan) writes:

   [all about anonymous ftp]

   Everybody seems to be missing the point.  Keeping track of usage is a
   great deal more than simply having a list of email addresses.  The ASSET
   folks also need to know WHY, WHAT, etc.

Which are all pointless questions if after filling out the forms you
find there is nothing you can make use of in the archive.

   It is easy to sign up, just send email to beank@source.asset.com
   and ask.  She'll send you the forms.

Maybe, but it still smacks of excessive bureaucracy.  Every other
language archive I know of gets by with anonymous ftp + logging where
necessary.  This "special account" stuff just serves to further
isolate Ada.