From: Ted Dennison<dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: Bitwise operators
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 16:05:17 GMT
Date: 2001-04-02T16:05:17+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <wccitknz7i6.fsf@world.std.com>, Robert A Duff says...
>Ted Dennison<dennison@telepath.com> writes:
>
>>... Admittedly, the "proper" LRM term for this is "signed
>> integer type", but bringing up strict LRM terminology in a beginner
>> thread is only going to confuse the reader.
>
>Sorry for all this nitpicking.  But I really don't agree that beginners
>should be taught the wrong terminology.  It will only confuse them when
>they try to read something about Ada (the RM or a text book).

That's fine, if its is adequately explained for the beginner. My worry is that
the original poster, who was clearly an Ada neophyte, is going to see someone
authoratatively say "you can use boolean ops on integers", quite reasonably go
out and try just that with something of type "Integer", and then get frustrated
when the compiler says they can't do that. If we tick them off in the early
stages, they won't hang around long enough to ever look in the LRM. :-)

---