From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: GTKADA Installation Questions
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 09:58:21 +0200
Date: 2009-10-10T09:58:21+02:00	[thread overview]

On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 06:56:30 GMT, Paul wrote:

> So my question is should I be installing GTKADA "on top" of GNAT so
> that the duplicated directories overlap?  The installation process
> doesn't imply that this is a useful thing to do.

Directories are duplicated intentionally. On Windows GNAT GPS comes with a
version of GtkAda + Gtk it needs to work. GtkAda is a distribution of its
own, with some version of Gtk, not necessarily same. You can also install a
newer version of Gtk (Glib, Pango etc) from some third source. If you also
installed GIMP that would be a fourth Gtk on your computer.

It is up to you to make them co-existing. Usually I overwrite GtkAda's lib
with newer versions (2.14.6 or so) and put GIMP's bin before GNAT and
GtkAda in the PATH.

P.S. I would not care about tutorial examples, because in my view they
aren't much useful.

I would rather suggest:

1. In order to understand how Gtk works:

http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk-tutorial/stable

2. For advanced, swampy, nasty Gtk issues:

http://scentric.net/tutorial/treeview-tutorial.html
http://www.gnome.org/~federico/misc/gtk-drawing-model/index.html

3. Last, but not least, the excellent GtkAda reference manual

http://www.adacore.com/wp-content/files/auto_update/gtkada-docs/gtkada_rm/gtkada_rm/index.html

P.P.S. It would be nice if somebody took care of packaging GtkAda under
Windows, because this is an issue faced by every new user of GtkAda.
AdaCore seems to update GtkAda once per year, which is a too slow pace
compared with the heartbeat of Gtk.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov