From: csampson@inetworld.net (Charles H. Sampson)
Subject: Re: GTKAda for the Mac
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 17:05:46 -0700
Date: 2016-06-15T17:05:46-07:00	[thread overview]

Charles H. Sampson <csampson@inetworld.net> wrote:

> Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org> wrote:
>
> > csampson@inetworld.net (Charles H. Sampson) writes:
> >
> > > Where can I find a version of GTKAda that's compatible with the latest
> > > GNAT for the Mac OS X? At libre.adacore there is one for several
> > > platforms, but not for the Mac. When I select my OS, the button for
> > > GTKAda goes away.
> >
> > [1] contains the GPL 2015 version of a package that contains GTKAda, and
> > links to the author's site. There[2] you will find a (French) document
> > stating how to build.
> >
> > You can usually find the sources, at least, of a libre.adacore.com
> > package either in the "sources" subdirectory of the main compiler item
> > for your OS, or you can look at the Linux download tree and select the
> > "sources" subdirectory of that main compiler item or the item for the
> > package you're interested in.
> >
> > [1] https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuada/files/GNAT_GPL%20Mac%20OS%20X/
> > 2015-mavericks/
> > [2] http://blady.pagesperso-orange.fr/telechargements/gtkada/Install-GTKAda-
> > Quartz_wf.pdf
>
> Thanks. This looks promising. I was hoping for an already built GTK
> library, as is available in an earlier, incompatible, version. Building
> from the sources is complicated.
>
> I've tried following the instructions once and got lost. I'll try again.
>
> Is it certain that the directions are correct? My French is pretty good
> and, outside of technical terms, this is pretty straightforward French.
> In particular, I'm questioning the placement of some of the apostrophes
> (single quotes). Following the directions unquestionly, I ended up with
> some symbol expansions ($<name>) in my .bashrc and .profile files that
> would have been unexpandible at login time. For example, the symbol
> instbase, which is the base symbol for all of the expansions, is not in
> the .bashrc file.

I give up. I've tried several times now and step 2 blows up with error
messages that are only meaningful to the person who developed the
process.

Somebody added to the page, in English, the following:  PATH does not
contain /Users/blady/.local/bin, it is recommended that you add that.
This makes no sense to me because there is no user named blady on my
computer. Nonetheless, I did it and got the same failure. I then added
/Users/Charles/.local/bin to PATH instead with the same failure.

I'll wait until a completely prepared Gtkada appears at Adacore. Until
then, I'll work in Emacs with text input and output. Proper
modularization should make adding a GUI later fairly easy.

Charlie
--
Nobody in this country got rich on his own.  You built a factory--good.
But you moved your goods on roads we all paid for.  You hired workers we