* GTKAda for the Mac
@ 2016-06-11  7:36 Charles H. Sampson
From: Charles H. Sampson @ 2016-06-11  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Where can I find a version of GTKAda that's compatible with the latest
GNAT for the Mac OS X? At libre.adacore there is one for several
platforms, but not for the Mac. When I select my OS, the button for
GTKAda goes away.

Charlie
--
Nobody in this country got rich on his own.  You built a factory--good.
But you moved your goods on roads we all paid for.  You hired workers we

* Re: GTKAda for the Mac
@ 2016-06-11  9:27 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2016-06-11  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

csampson@inetworld.net (Charles H. Sampson) writes:

> Where can I find a version of GTKAda that's compatible with the latest
> GNAT for the Mac OS X? At libre.adacore there is one for several
> platforms, but not for the Mac. When I select my OS, the button for
> GTKAda goes away.

[1] contains the GPL 2015 version of a package that contains GTKAda, and
links to the author's site. There[2] you will find a (French) document
stating how to build.

You can usually find the sources, at least, of a libre.adacore.com
package either in the "sources" subdirectory of the main compiler item
for your OS, or you can look at the Linux download tree and select the
"sources" subdirectory of that main compiler item or the item for the
package you're interested in.

[1]
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuada/files/GNAT_GPL%20Mac%20OS%20X/2015-mavericks/
[2] http://blady.pagesperso-orange.fr/telechargements/gtkada/Install-GTKAda-Quartz_wf.pdf

* Re: GTKAda for the Mac
@ 2016-06-12 20:47   ` Charles H. Sampson
From: Charles H. Sampson @ 2016-06-12 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org> wrote:

> csampson@inetworld.net (Charles H. Sampson) writes:
>
> > Where can I find a version of GTKAda that's compatible with the latest
> > GNAT for the Mac OS X? At libre.adacore there is one for several
> > platforms, but not for the Mac. When I select my OS, the button for
> > GTKAda goes away.
>
> [1] contains the GPL 2015 version of a package that contains GTKAda, and
> links to the author's site. There[2] you will find a (French) document
> stating how to build.
>
> You can usually find the sources, at least, of a libre.adacore.com
> package either in the "sources" subdirectory of the main compiler item
> for your OS, or you can look at the Linux download tree and select the
> "sources" subdirectory of that main compiler item or the item for the
> package you're interested in.
>
> [1] https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuada/files/GNAT_GPL%20Mac%20OS%20X/
> 2015-mavericks/
> [2] http://blady.pagesperso-orange.fr/telechargements/gtkada/Install-GTKAda-
> Quartz_wf.pdf

Thanks. This looks promising. I was hoping for an already built GTK
library, as is available in an earlier, incompatible, version. Building
from the sources is complicated.

I've tried following the instructions once and got lost. I'll try again.

Is it certain that the directions are correct? My French is pretty good
and, outside of technical terms, this is pretty straightforward French.
In particular, I'm questioning the placement of some of the apostrophes
(single quotes). Following the directions unquestionly, I ended up with
some symbol expansions ($<name>) in my .bashrc and .profile files that
would have been unexpandible at login time. For example, the symbol
instbase, which is the base symbol for all of the expansions, is not in
the .bashrc file.

Charlie
--

@ 2016-06-16  0:05     ` Charles H. Sampson
From: Charles H. Sampson @ 2016-06-16  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Charles H. Sampson <csampson@inetworld.net> wrote:

> Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org> wrote:
>
> > csampson@inetworld.net (Charles H. Sampson) writes:
> >
> > > Where can I find a version of GTKAda that's compatible with the latest
> > > GNAT for the Mac OS X? At libre.adacore there is one for several
> > > platforms, but not for the Mac. When I select my OS, the button for
> > > GTKAda goes away.
> >
> > [1] contains the GPL 2015 version of a package that contains GTKAda, and
> > links to the author's site. There[2] you will find a (French) document
> > stating how to build.
> >
> > You can usually find the sources, at least, of a libre.adacore.com
> > package either in the "sources" subdirectory of the main compiler item
> > for your OS, or you can look at the Linux download tree and select the
> > "sources" subdirectory of that main compiler item or the item for the
> > package you're interested in.
> >
> > [1] https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuada/files/GNAT_GPL%20Mac%20OS%20X/
> > 2015-mavericks/
> > [2] http://blady.pagesperso-orange.fr/telechargements/gtkada/Install-GTKAda-
> > Quartz_wf.pdf
>
> Thanks. This looks promising. I was hoping for an already built GTK
> library, as is available in an earlier, incompatible, version. Building
> from the sources is complicated.
>
> I've tried following the instructions once and got lost. I'll try again.
>
> Is it certain that the directions are correct? My French is pretty good
> and, outside of technical terms, this is pretty straightforward French.
> In particular, I'm questioning the placement of some of the apostrophes
> (single quotes). Following the directions unquestionly, I ended up with
> some symbol expansions ($<name>) in my .bashrc and .profile files that
> would have been unexpandible at login time. For example, the symbol
> instbase, which is the base symbol for all of the expansions, is not in
> the .bashrc file.

I give up. I've tried several times now and step 2 blows up with error
messages that are only meaningful to the person who developed the
process.

Somebody added to the page, in English, the following:  PATH does not
contain /Users/blady/.local/bin, it is recommended that you add that.
This makes no sense to me because there is no user named blady on my
computer. Nonetheless, I did it and got the same failure. I then added
/Users/Charles/.local/bin to PATH instead with the same failure.

I'll wait until a completely prepared Gtkada appears at Adacore. Until
then, I'll work in Emacs with text input and output. Proper
modularization should make adding a GUI later fairly easy.

Charlie
--

@ 2016-06-16  0:12       ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2016-06-16  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06/15/2016 05:05 PM, Charles H. Sampson wrote:

> I'll wait until a completely prepared Gtkada appears at Adacore. Until
> then, I'll work in Emacs with text input and output. Proper
> modularization should make adding a GUI later fairly easy.

If that's acceptable, why not use Gnoga now and convert to GTKAda later?

--
Jeff Carter
"IMHO, Interfaces are worthless."

* Re: GTKAda for the Mac
@ 2016-06-16  7:25         ` Charles H. Sampson
From: Charles H. Sampson @ 2016-06-16  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey R. Carter <spam.jrcarter.not@spam.not.acm.org> wrote:

> On 06/15/2016 05:05 PM, Charles H. Sampson wrote:
> >
> > I'll wait until a completely prepared Gtkada appears at Adacore. Until
> > then, I'll work in Emacs with text input and output. Proper
> > modularization should make adding a GUI later fairly easy.
>
> If that's acceptable, why not use Gnoga now and convert to GTKAda later?

Thanks. I'm in the process of getting familiar with Gnoga.

Charlie