From: csampson@inetworld.net (Charles H. Sampson)
Subject: Re: if-then-no-else  Programming
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 13:32:20 -0700
Date: 2016-04-19T13:32:20-07:00	[thread overview]

Charles H. Sampson <csampson@inetworld.net> wrote:

> It's hard to believe that it's been over six years since I wrote a line
> of code for profit. If what my son tells me, there's been what I
> consider a major change in software engineering during that time.
>
> He says that there's a move to ban the use of the else-statement. The
> preferred approach is to execute the else-part first, then change the
> effect if the if-condition is satisfied. For example:
>
>    Variable := 3;
>    if <condtion> then
>       Variable := 1;
>    end if;
>
> In addition to some other goodness attributes, this is supposed to be
> clearer than the if-then-else form.
>
> Is he right? (He's not really a coder. His experience is in wire-frame
> animation but he's being forced into coding by the job market.) If he's
> not right, have any of you even heard of an area of the software
> "profession" where this position is held?

Thanks to all who applied. Everybody seems to be as appalled as I am
about this idea. And you came up with one or two negative impacts that I
hadn't thought of yet.

Charlie
--
Nobody in this country got rich on his own.  You built a factory--good.
But you moved your goods on roads we all paid for.  You hired workers we