* Re: Compiling Packages and generic Subprograms
@ 1993-02-26  1:43 Dave Bashford
From: Dave Bashford @ 1993-02-26  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article otte.3.0@antpc.ant.uni-hannover.de, Herr Otte  writes:

>What is wrong with my package Pac ?
> [...]
>Dirk Otte

I cut your package directly from your message and compiled it with our
Alsys compiler without any complaints.
--

db
bashford@srs.loral.com (Dave Bashford, Sunnyvale, CA)

* Re: Compiling Packages and generic Subprograms
@ 1993-02-26  7:47 agate!howland.reston.ans.net!paladin.american.edu!news.univie.ac.at!hp4at
From: agate!howland.reston.ans.net!paladin.american.edu!news.univie.ac.at!hp4at @ 1993-02-26  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

>From article <otte.3.0@antpc.ant.uni-hannover.de>, by otte@antpc.ant.uni-hanno
ver.de (Herr Otte):

: I have found a mysterious bug and don't know, what happens.
: When I try to compile the following package Pac, the compiler
: produces several error messages, but they don't give me any hint.
: What is wrong with my package Pac ?
: ...
: Is something wrong in my source code ?

  No, and no error occurs when compiling with an Alsys compiler.

* Re: Compiling Packages and generic Subprograms
@ 1993-02-26  8:48 agate!howland.reston.ans.net!paladin.american.edu!news.univie.ac.at!hp4at
From: agate!howland.reston.ans.net!paladin.american.edu!news.univie.ac.at!hp4at @ 1993-02-26  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

te) said:

Dirk> What is wrong with my package Pac ?

Dirk> package Pac is
Dirk>    generic
Dirk>       type Fixed is delta <> ;
Dirk>    procedure Get_Fixed ( Fixed_Wert : out Fixed ) ;
Dirk>    procedure Get_Dur is new Get_Fixed ( DURATION ) ;
Dirk> end Pac ;
[Package body deleted]

Dirk> Is something wrong in my source code ?
Dirk> Perhaps, is it forbidden, to instantiate a generic unit, before the body
Dirk> of this unit is compiled ?

That's right: LRM says 'For the instantiation of a generic unit that has a body
,
a check is made that this body is already elaborated. The exception
PROGRAM_ERROR is raised if any of these checks fails' (3.9, 7 & 8)

Dirk> Or is this a problem of my compiler ?

Its error messages are somewhat obscure in that case, but your compiler is
probably OK.

--
Nicolas Courtel - courtel@dgac.fr