From: csampson@inetworld.net (Charles H. Sampson)
Subject: PowerPC ISA
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 22:58:44 -0700
Date: 2009-03-13T22:58:44-07:00	[thread overview]

     Has anyone developed an Ada type that describes the PowerPC
instruction set architecture?  Failing that, does anyone know of an
available description of how a PowerPC CPU might decode instructions?

     I'm fighting a horrendous bug in a high-rate real-time system; a
procedure's return address on the stack is being overwritten.  I'm going
to write another procedure that can look at the stack on each execution
of the crippled procedure.  Initially it will just look at stack sizes.
As I learn more, it will be modified.

     I've got the IBM book that describes the PowerPC but it's not laid
out to answer my questions.  If I get no joy here, I'll figure it out
myself but I have no interest at all in reinventing the wheel.  I need
to get this done as quickly and cheaply as possible.

                        Charlie
--
Nature and nature's laws lay hid in night.
God said "Let Newton be," and all was light. - Pope