* Posting from a non-gmail address ?
@ 2018-02-22 13:18 santu.ottavi
From: santu.ottavi @ 2018-02-22 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Do you know if it's possible to post in this group from a non-gmail address ?

I managed to subscribe from my usual mail address and mail client, but I do not receive the updates, and when I try to post a new message, I got an error :

comp.lang.ada@googlegroups.com

Thank you in advance. Kind regards.

* Re: Posting from a non-gmail address ?
@ 2018-02-22 16:29 ` Simon Wright
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Simon Wright @ 2018-02-22 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

santu.ottavi@gmail.com writes:

> Do you know if it's possible to post in this group from a non-gmail
> address ?

You should only need the quickest glance round the existing postings to
see that people don't all have gmail addresses.

> I managed to subscribe from my usual mail address and mail client, but
> I do not receive the updates, and when I try to post a new message, I
> got an error :
>
> comp.lang.ada@googlegroups.com
> Remote Server returned '< #5.0.0 smtp; Posting by email is not
> allowed, to post to this group visit
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/comp.lang.ada>'

So why don't you do that?

Perhaps you're used to other Google groups where you can post & receive
updates by mail? (I don't know whether there are such).

The thing is, this group isn't hosted by Google, instead Google makes
available a view of the InterNet News group, and you have to use that
view in the way Google provide.

From: Simon Wright @ 2018-02-22 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2018-02-22 16:59 ` Dennis Lee Bieber
From: Dennis Lee Bieber @ 2018-02-22 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 05:18:07 -0800 (PST), santu.ottavi@gmail.com declaimed
the following:

>Hi,
>
>Do you know if it's possible to post in this group from a non-gmail address ?

	This "group" existed before "Google Groups"... This is the Usenet
comp.lang.ada news group, and traditionally is accessed using an NNTP
client connecting to an NNTP news server (which, at one time, was something
every real ISP provided).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

	Google is merely mirroring the group in their web-based forum (which
does have many Google-only groups).

* Re: Posting from a non-gmail address ?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-02-22 17:20 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2018-02-22 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2018-02-22 14:18, santu.ottavi@gmail.com wrote:

> Do you know if it's possible to post in this group from a non-gmail address ?

Sure. There are free news servers. E.g. I am using aioe.

    https://news.aioe.org/

you can subscribe and post to comp.land.ada from there for free (+
Thunderbird for news reader).

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: Posting from a non-gmail address ?
@ 2018-02-23  9:44   ` Santu Ottavi
From: Santu Ottavi @ 2018-02-23  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le jeudi 22 février 2018 18:20:26 UTC+1, Dmitry Kazakov a écrit :

> Sure. There are free news servers. E.g. I am using aioe.
>
>     https://news.aioe.org/

Hi, thank you for your answers. I just understood Google was providing a "mirror" to a true Newsgroup :-) I haven't used NNTP for a while :-)

I'll (try to) connect through a News client. Kind regards

* Re: Posting from a non-gmail address ?
@ 2018-03-10 18:41   ` Blady
From: Blady @ 2018-03-10 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22/02/2018 18:20, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> On 2018-02-22 14:18, santu.ottavi@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Do you know if it's possible to post in this group from a non-gmail
>> address ?
>
> Sure. There are free news servers. E.g. I am using aioe.
>
>     https://news.aioe.org/
>
> you can subscribe and post to comp.land.ada from there for free (+
> Thunderbird for news reader).

Hello Dmitry,

Nice combo: news.aioe.org + Thunderbird, thanks.
Current post is from there :-)
Previously I was on http://news.alphanet.ch/ with random message loss.

Regards, Pascal.