* Petascale computing
@ 2012-04-23  8:50 gautier_niouzes
From: gautier_niouzes @ 2012-04-23  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I've received recently a "Call for Proposals" for computational resource-hungry projects:

  http://hpc.science.doe.gov/allocations/calls/incite2013

Perhaps someone here would be interested.

Cheers

G.

* Re: Petascale computing
@ 2012-04-23 20:06 ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2012-04-23 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, April 23, 2012 3:50:26 AM UTC-5, gautier...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've received recently a "Call for Proposals" for computational resource-hungry projects:
>
>   http://hpc.science.doe.gov/allocations/calls/incite2013
>
> Perhaps someone here would be interested.
>
> Cheers
>
> G.

Looks like they're begging for large simulations. One that might be interesting is a financial simulation that 1) simulates fractional reserve banking, as practiced/regulated now, with 2) the national debt/federal reserve polices (monetizing the debt) as 3) the economy continues it's drunken staggering slump. And, if truly ambitious, 4) simulating the effect of bank-runs, and 5) possible riots.

Lots of variables, several differentials there (I'm sure). The whole process would also be interesting if mapped against [fictional] 100% reserve banks.

* Re: Petascale computing
@ 2012-04-24 19:33 ` Jerry
From: Jerry @ 2012-04-24 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 23, 1:50 am, gautier_niou...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've received recently a "Call for Proposals" for computational resource-hungry projects:
>
>  http://hpc.science.doe.gov/allocations/calls/incite2013
>
> Perhaps someone here would be interested.
>
> Cheers
>
> G.

Interesting (or unfortunate) choice of acronym.

incite |inˈsīt|
verb [ with obj. ]
encourage or stir up (violent or unlawful behavior).
• urge or persuade (someone) to act in a violent or unlawful way.

* Re: Petascale computing
@ 2012-04-25 12:06   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2012-04-25 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jerry <lanceboyle@qwest.net> writes:

> incite |inˈsīt|
> verb [ with obj. ]
> encourage or stir up (violent or unlawful behavior).
> • urge or persuade (someone) to act in a violent or unlawful way.

What dictionary is that from?

OED (http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/93523?redirectedFrom=incite#eid)

says:

 a. trans. To urge or spur on; to stir up, animate, instigate, stimulate. Const. to do something; to or unto some action.

ie _any_ action, not just negative ones. None of the OED definitions
give negative connotations.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Petascale computing
@ 2012-04-25 16:30     ` Adam Beneschan
From: Adam Beneschan @ 2012-04-25 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, April 25, 2012 5:06:22 AM UTC-7, Stephen Leake wrote:
> Jerry writes:
>
> > incite |inˈsīt|
> > verb [ with obj. ]
> > encourage or stir up (violent or unlawful behavior).
> > • urge or persuade (someone) to act in a violent or unlawful way.
>
> What dictionary is that from?
>
> OED (http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/93523?redirectedFrom=incite#eid)
>
> says:
>
>  a. trans. To urge or spur on; to stir up, animate, instigate, stimulate. Const. to do something; to or unto some action.
>

> ie _any_ action, not just negative ones. None of the OED definitions
> give negative connotations.

In Merriam-Webster Online, none of the definitions say that the verb has negative connotations, but all of the examples do.  The same seems to hold everywhere else I've looked (e.g. Wiktionary).  So I suspect that, regardless of the definition, in practice the word just isn't used except with negative connotations.  If someone can find an example from literature (preferably from the last couple centuries) where "incite" is used in a more positive way, it might be helpful.

                    -- Adam

* Re: Petascale computing
@ 2012-04-25 21:53       ` Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2012-04-25 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Wed, 25 Apr 2012 18:30:07 +0200, Adam Beneschan <adam@irvine.com> a
écrit:
> In Merriam-Webster Online, none of the definitions say that the verb has
> negative connotations

The very close French verb « inciter » carries none at least. I believe
the same about its English peer.

* Re: Petascale computing
@ 2012-04-25 22:03     ` Jerry
From: Jerry @ 2012-04-25 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 25, 5:06 am, Stephen Leake <stephen_le...@stephe-leake.org>
wrote:
> Jerry <lancebo...@qwest.net> writes:
> > incite |inˈsīt|
> > verb [ with obj. ]
> > encourage or stir up (violent or unlawful behavior).
> > • urge or persuade (someone) to act in a violent or unlawful way.
>
> What dictionary is that from?
>
> OED (http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/93523?redirectedFrom=incite#eid)
>
> says:
>
>  a. trans. To urge or spur on; to stir up, animate, instigate, stimulate. Const. to do something; to or unto some action.
>
> ie _any_ action, not just negative ones. None of the OED definitions
> give negative connotations.
>
> --
> -- Stephe

It's from Dictionary.app which is included on OS X. IIRC, when it
first appeared on OS X, it was called (or credited) by its original
name, which I have forgotten. Now, it is credited only to Apple, with
copyright beginning in 2005. People have commented that it is unusual
in the way that it organizes its definitions.

OK--Wikipedia to the rescue: "It was introduced with Mac OS X v10.4
"Tiger", and provides definitions and synonyms from the New Oxford
American Dictionary, 2nd Edition and Oxford American Writer's
Thesaurus, 2nd Edition."

I actually included only part of the definition in my original post.
Here is the whole thing:

incite |inˈsīt|
verb [ with obj. ]
encourage or stir up (violent or unlawful behavior): the offense of
inciting racial hatred.
• urge or persuade (someone) to act in a violent or unlawful way: he
incited loyal subjects to rebellion.
DERIVATIVES
incitation |ˌinsīˈtāSHən|noun,
inciter noun
ORIGIN late 15th cent.: from French inciter, from Latin incitare, from
in- ‘toward’ + citare ‘rouse.’

So now I suppose someone could comment or speculate on the meaning of
the Latin word for "rouse."

On OS X, from any Cocoa program, one can place the text cursor over
any word and (without clicking) press Control-Command-D and a smallish
scrollable window pops up with dictionary, thesaurus, and Wikipedia
entries for the word.

To get this thread on topic (not really 8^), the entry for Ada is:

Ada |ˈādə|
noun
a high-level computer programming language used esp. in real-time
computerized control systems, e.g., for aircraft navigation.
ORIGIN 1980s: from the name of Ada Lovelace (see Lovelace, Ada) .

And for Lovelace, Ada, this:
Lovelace, Ada |ˈləvlās|
, Countess of Lovelace (1815–52), English mathematician; full name
Augusta Ada King Lovelace. The daughter of Lord Byron, she worked with
Charles Babbage on his “analytical engine,” a mechanical computer. The
Ada standardized computer language was named for her in 1980.

BTW, in James Gleick's recent book, "The Information," there is a
rather nice telling of the work of Lovelace and Babbage.

Jerry

Jerry

* Re: Petascale computing
@ 2012-04-25 23:14         ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2012-04-25 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yannick Duchêne writes on comp.lang.ada:
> Le Wed, 25 Apr 2012 18:30:07 +0200, Adam Beneschan <adam@irvine.com> a
> écrit:
>> In Merriam-Webster Online, none of the definitions say that the verb
>> has negative connotations
>
> The very close French verb « inciter » carries none at least. I
> believe the same about its English peer.

Don't believe that.  Most English words that originate from French
retained the etymological meaning from the middle ages (ultimately from
Latin), which is usually much stronger than today's meaning.  IOW, the
meaning of the French words changed to become milder.  Examples: étonné
vs. astonished, ennuyé vs. annoyed, demander vs. to demand, proposer
vs. to propose.  I am not surprised at all at the difference between
"inciter" in French and "to incite" in English.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Petascale computing
@ 2012-04-26  1:08           ` Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2012-04-26  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Thu, 26 Apr 2012 01:14:44 +0200, Ludovic Brenta
<ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> a écrit:

> Yannick Duchêne writes on comp.lang.ada:
>> Le Wed, 25 Apr 2012 18:30:07 +0200, Adam Beneschan <adam@irvine.com> a
>> écrit:
>>> In Merriam-Webster Online, none of the definitions say that the verb
>>> has negative connotations
>>
>> The very close French verb « inciter » carries none at least. I
>> believe the same about its English peer.
>
> Don't believe that.  Most English words that originate from French
> retained the etymological meaning from the middle ages (ultimately from
> Latin), which is usually much stronger than today's meaning.  IOW, the
> meaning of the French words changed to become milder.

You are right, at least for many‑many cases.

* Re: Petascale computing
@ 2012-04-26 11:01       ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2012-04-26 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam Beneschan <adam@irvine.com> writes:

> On Wednesday, April 25, 2012 5:06:22 AM UTC-7, Stephen Leake wrote:
>> Jerry writes:
>>
>> > incite |inˈsīt|
>> > verb [ with obj. ]
>> > encourage or stir up (violent or unlawful behavior).
>> > • urge or persuade (someone) to act in a violent or unlawful way.
>>
>> What dictionary is that from?
>>
>> OED (http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/93523?redirectedFrom=incite#eid)
>>
>> says:
>>
>>  a. trans. To urge or spur on; to stir up, animate, instigate, stimulate. Const. to do something; to or unto some action.
>>

>> ie _any_ action, not just negative ones. None of the OED definitions
>> give negative connotations.
>
> In Merriam-Webster Online, none of the definitions say that the verb
> has negative connotations, but all of the examples do. The same seems
> to hold everywhere else I've looked (e.g. Wiktionary). So I suspect
> that, regardless of the definition, in practice the word just isn't
> used except with negative connotations. If someone can find an example
> from literature (preferably from the last couple centuries) where
> "incite" is used in a more positive way, it might be helpful.

OED examples:

1483 Caxton tr. Caton A viij, For to doo thys right canon admonesteth
and inciteth us.

1490 Caxton tr. Eneydos Contents 7 How Eneas encyted the patrons &
maystres of his shyppes for to departe.

?1504 W. Atkinson tr. Ful Treat. Imytacyon Cryste (Pynson) i. xi. 161
The firste mocions that incyteth vs to synne.

1597 R. Hooker Of Lawes Eccl. Politie v. xi. 19 He incited all men vnto
bountifull contribution.

1606 G. W. tr. Justinus Hist. 9 a, The rather to incite him vppe vnto
their ayde, [he] shewed the exceeding valour of their women.

1654 J. Bramhall Just Vindic. Church of Eng. vii. 221 The Pope incited
the King of Spain to make war against the Republick.

1715 Pope tr. Homer Iliad I. iv. 499 These Mars incites, and those
Minerva fires.

1812 G. Chalmers Hist. View Domest. Econ. Great Brit. & Ireland 423
Manufactures were incited, and pushed forward, by every sort of
encouragement.

1871 B. Jowett tr. Plato Dialogues I. 433 Each of us was urging and
inciting the other to put the question.

1880 E. White Certainty in Relig. 24 A certainty, and an overflowing
gladness in the heart, which are capable of inciting to heroic deeds.

Only a couple of these are negative.

They are all rather old, so more current references might all be
negative. That is one failing of the OED; it's fun to see the really old
references, but it doesn't say much about the current usage.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Petascale computing
@ 2012-04-29 10:23   ` gautier_niouzes
From: gautier_niouzes @ 2012-04-29 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le lundi 23 avril 2012 22:06:17 UTC+2, Shark8 a écrit :

> Looks like they're begging for large simulations. One that might be interesting is a financial simulation that 1) simulates fractional reserve banking, as practiced/regulated now, with 2) the national debt/federal reserve polices (monetizing the debt) as 3) the economy continues it's drunken staggering slump. And, if truly ambitious, 4) simulating the effect of bank-runs, and 5) possible riots.
>
> Lots of variables, several differentials there (I'm sure). The whole process would also be interesting if mapped against [fictional] 100% reserve banks.

It would certainly fit the needs.
Well, for point 2) we could perhaps approximate it well enough with an exponential function ;-)
Cheers
Gautier's Ada programming
http://gautiersblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Finance
NB: follow the above link for a valid e-mail address