From: Rugxulo <rugxulo@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: NVIDIA opens up CUDA compiler for other languages
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 15:35:34 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2011-12-19T15:35:34-08:00	[thread overview]

Hi,
   I'm pretty sure I'm the wrong person to answer this, but oh
well.  ;-)

On Dec 16, 9:08 am, jonathan <johns...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 16, 1:43 pm, Adrian-Ken Rueegsegger <k...@codelabs.ch> wrote:
>
> > If I understood the article correctly this requires a working
> > LLVM-Frontend for Ada. I do not know what the status of the current
> > implementation [1] is but maybe somebody more knowledgeable about LLVM
> > with regards to Ada could comment on that and give their take?
>
> I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but the new LLVM 3.0
> has been out a few weeks, along with the new Ada front end
>
>    http://dragonegg.llvm.org/
>
> They say:
>
>    Patching and building GCC is no longer required: the plugin should
>    work with your system GCC (version 4.5 or 4.6; on Debian/Ubuntu
> systems
>    the gcc-4.5-plugin-dev or gcc-4.6-plugin-dev package is also
> needed).
>
> which sounds encouraging.

Clang does not have an Ada frontend. It's a "C language"-based
compiler only, e.g. C / C++ / Objective C / Objective C++. LLVM is the
backend, hence the (now deprecated, no longer updated, not available
in LLVM 3.0) LLVM-GCC (GCC 4.2) compiler was needed to compile Ada
source code while targeting the LLVM backend.

DragonEgg is a plugin for GCC proper (specifically, 4.5.x or 4.6.x)
which targets the LLVM backend. Since GCC (only, and not Clang) has an
Ada frontend / compiler, you must use that.