From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: help building ada with glade
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 09:39:58 +0100
Date: 2012-02-24T09:39:58+01:00	[thread overview]

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 06:53:57 +0100, J-P. Rosen wrote:

> Le 23/02/2012 09:44, Dmitry A. Kazakov a �crit :
>> If you want to learn/use Gtk, forget about GLADE. Don't invest much in
>> examples, only if you are stuck. Start to write your application. Don't
>> think about perfection. Gtk is not a kind of thing you could do much
>> upfront. Just make it working, improve incrementally...
>>
> YMMV. I did learn Gtk by generating simple applications with Glade and
> looking at the generated code. This lowers the height of the first step
> to get something working a lot.

I doubt that code generated by GLADE illustrates issues essential for
dealing with GTK: objects (GObject), values (GValue), signals, containers
(packing), MVC (in trees, combos, text buffers).

I doubt that any generated code could help learning anything.

> Glade is quite nice for casual GUIs (maybe not if you want something
> really sophisticated). Why do you think otherwise?

I don't believe that a GUI project can be assisted with GLADE, which
presumes its ability to incorporate user made modifications of the
generated code. GTK is simply unsuitable for this. It is too low level, too
messy. It lacks any means to separate the UI from the semantics. Ergo, no
need to look into any generator (I admit, I don't know GLADE well), none
can be good for GTK.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov