* anyone running is aws and postgresql website?
@ 2013-06-18 17:05 johannes falcone
From: johannes falcone @ 2013-06-18 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Curious how well ada handles maintenance and evolution?

Also, do you have memcached active to help with caching database results?

Performance I assume is awesome.

Are the any other factors to recomend such a combination over say rails or other run of mill popular frameworks?

* Re: anyone running is aws and postgresql website?
@ 2013-06-19  7:59 ` Maciej Sobczak
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Maciej Sobczak @ 2013-06-19  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

W dniu wtorek, 18 czerwca 2013 19:05:26 UTC+2 użytkownik johannes falcone napisał:

> Curious how well ada handles maintenance and evolution?

Very well.

> Also, do you have memcached active to help with caching database results?

Why? One of the biggest advantages of AWS is that subsequent requests are handled within the same process, which allows to retain arbitrary information between requests without any additional complications. Moreover, all such program-level caching is type-safe and properly structured.
The only reason to use memcached with AWS could be to use it as a shared resource for several AWS instances, but depending on particular scenario other solutions might be more appropriate. In general, memcached was invented as a solution to problems that don't exist with AWS.

> Performance I assume is awesome.

Certainly better than commonly accepted alternatives.

> Are the any other factors to recomend such a combination over say rails or other run of mill popular frameworks?

The major other factor to use AWS is that the whole webservice can be deployed as a single executable, which allows to benefit from the capability of the compiler and linker to verify consistency of the whole program. I believe that this single feature alone allows to get rid of most of the deployment failures that usually happen with script-oriented techniques. This is actually my major motivation for using AWS, with performance being much further on the list.

--
Maciej Sobczak * http://www.msobczak.com * http://www.inspirel.com

* Re: anyone running is aws and postgresql website?
@ 2013-06-19 11:43 ` Thomas Løcke
From: Thomas Løcke @ 2013-06-19 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06/18/2013 07:05 PM, johannes falcone wrote:
> Curious how well ada handles maintenance and evolution?

A lot of Ada software is being build to stand the test of time, so in
general Ada handles maintenance and evolution very well.

> Also, do you have memcached active to help with caching database results?

I've had no need for memcached, as it feels rather pointless in an AWS
powered application. With AWS you don't really suffer from the same
issues as you do with something like Apache+PHP.

> Performance I assume is awesome.

It's far above what you will get with some of the more traditional web
frameworks. Bear in mind though that AWS will not help you if your DB
is poorly designed, or your queries are crap. An AWS powered application
waiting for PostgreSQL to complete an insane query against a crap schema
is just as slow as a PHP powered application.

> Are the any other factors to recomend such a combination over say rails or other run of mill popular frameworks?

To be honest, not really. The biggest recommendation is the fact that
you're building your web-application in Ada, but that's a rather poor
reason for going down the AWS road if you SUPER AWESOME at programming
in Ruby and crap at Ada.

Go with what you're good at, unless you have the time and resources to
learn something new/better.

Maciej mentions the fact that you deploy your application as a single
executable, and while I agree with him in that that for sure is a great
thing, it is not something unique to AWS/Ada - you can get that with
other languages also.

AWS is solid and Ada is great. If you know and like Ada, then building
your web application using AWS is a pretty nice experience.

:)

--
Thomas Løcke | thomas@12boo.net | http://12boo.net

* Re: anyone running is aws and postgresql website?
@ 2013-06-19 14:32   ` Maciej Sobczak
From: Maciej Sobczak @ 2013-06-19 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

W dniu środa, 19 czerwca 2013 13:43:54 UTC+2 użytkownik Thomas Løcke napisał:

> Maciej mentions the fact that you deploy your application as a single
> executable, and while I agree with him in that that for sure is a great
> thing, it is not something unique to AWS/Ada - you can get that with
> other languages also.

By "single executable" I mean something that was linked together by a tool (linker) that can check the consistency on the way.

Note, for example, that Java's "war" files do not count: indeed, they are single files, but they are just archives of whatever inconsistent mess was given to the archiver and it is only when you run the system that you can see all those ClassDefNotFoundException, NoSuchFunctionException and OhMyGodTheXMLConfigFilesDoNotMatchMyClassesException, etc. After spending countless hours fixing this kind of deployment mess the comfort of working with AWS looks like a real game-changer. :-)

--

@ 2013-06-19 14:40 ` Graham Stark
From: Graham Stark @ 2013-06-19 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> anyone running is aws and postgresql website?

Here's one:

http://virtual-worlds-research.com/demonstrations/wsc/

and here's another one I'm still building:

http://projectsvr.virtual-worlds-research.com/la/

(this is just an initial part of quite a large project, is at an early stage, is fairly ugly to look at, and isn't of general interest, but I'm nonetheless quite proud of it).

> Curious how well ada handles maintenance and evolution?

The template system is nice, so you can make rapid changes layouts, etc.. It's better in that respect than Java, I think.

> Also, do you have memcached active to help with caching database results?

No. Probably should, though.

> Performance I assume is awesome.

The second one uses the semi-native interface to Postgres packaged with Gnatcoll, the first uses ODBC; the Gnatcoll one seems much faster but I haven't really investigated why (possibly just autocommit settings or something).

> Are the any other factors to recomend such a combination over say rails or other run of mill popular frameworks?

I choose AWS mainly because I'm constructing front-ends to quite large number-crunching applications that are themselves written in Ada and there are advantages in having the front-end and back-end (the model and the view, I suppose) in the same language. Plus, AWS is just a good thing, well written with a very nice community surrounding it.

Graham

* Re: anyone running is aws and postgresql website?
@ 2013-06-19 14:40     ` Thomas Løcke
From: Thomas Løcke @ 2013-06-19 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06/19/2013 04:32 PM, Maciej Sobczak wrote:
> By "single executable" I mean something that was linked together by a tool (linker) that can check the consistency on the way.
>
> Note, for example, that Java's "war" files do not count: indeed, they are single files, but they are just archives of whatever inconsistent mess was given to the archiver and it is only when you run the system that you can see all those ClassDefNotFoundException, NoSuchFunctionException and OhMyGodTheXMLConfigFilesDoNotMatchMyClassesException, etc. After spending countless hours fixing this kind of deployment mess the comfort of working with AWS looks like a real game-changer. :-)

You are of course right. When I wrote it I had Haskell in mind, which
also grants you some order of consistency and "protection".

Java wasn't even on my radar, since I've been lucky enough to never work
with it.  :D

--
Thomas Løcke | thomas@12boo.net | http://12boo.net

* Re: anyone running is aws and postgresql website?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-06-19 15:05 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2013-06-19 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here is another one:

   http://v2p.fr.eu.org

This one is AWS + SQLite3. The code is fully Open Source so you can look
at it.

   https://github.com/TurboGit/vision2pixels

Pascal.

--
  Pascal Obry /  Magny Les Hameaux (78)

  The best way to travel is by means of imagination

  http://v2p.fr.eu.org
  http://www.obry.net

  gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key F949BD3B