From: alby.gamper@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Visual Studio IDE - Integration
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 05:51:17 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2017-01-27T05:51:17-08:00	[thread overview]

On Saturday, January 28, 2017 at 12:12:49 AM UTC+11, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> On 27/01/2017 13:49, alby.gamper@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Is their any general interest in using Visual Studio as an IDE for ADA
> > development ? (Not as a replacement to GPS, but rather as an alternative
> > for those teams primarily working on Windows based environments)
> >
> > I have a pre Alpha solution that currently operates under Visual
> > Studio 2015 (express/community edition) which covers the following
> > functionality.
> >
> > 1) Project templates for console/GUI apps and static and shared libraries
> > 2) Project configuration for most GNAT compiler, binder, linker options
> > 3) Rudimentary syntax/keyword highlighting
> > 4) GPRBUILD integration (ie MSBuild uses/invokes GPR project files)
> > 5) GDB integration
> >
> > But note the following limitations/caveats apply
> >
> > a) A working native GCC toolchain must already be installed (either GNAP GPL or
> > a Mingw32 environment should work fine)
> >
> > b) Some work needs to be done to support multilib (ie x86 vs x64)
> >
> > c) No GUI designer is available (ie winforms, WPF, XAML)
> >
> > d) I have a rudimentary binding to WinRT, BUT this is limited to NON GUI
> > functionality, since XAML  and Windows Composition API's seem to require a
> > sandboxed/windows Store environment to run under ?
> >
> > I am more than willing to show some screen shots to demonstrate the current
> > functionality
> >
> > Your thoughts/feedback are welcome
>
> As for me I see no reason using Visual Studio so long MS linker and MS
> debugger are not used. Main headaches are gcc linker (becoming
> exponentially slower with each added library) and GDB (unusable).
>
> --
> Regards,
> Dmitry A. Kazakov
> http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de

Dear Dmitry

As mentioned, my solution does not depend upon MS linker or debugger. It uses
the underlying GCC/GNAT toolchain. I cant comment on the GCC linker, BUT the
GDB Visual Studio integration seems ok to me (I actually use Microsoft's own
open source MIDebug engine see https://github.com/Microsoft/MIEngine )

Alex