From: seanearlyaug@hotmail.com (Sean Cleary)
Subject: Re: Support Metrics for Ada / C Projects
Date: 31 Aug 2004 11:10:35 -0700
Date: 2004-08-31T11:10:35-07:00	[thread overview]

"Richard  Riehle" <adaworks@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<xIOYc.3067$w%6.2389@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> "Dan Ligett" <ligett@softstarsystems.com> wrote in message
> >
> > In 1987, 1988, and 1989 Barry Boehm and Walker Royce reported on a version
> > of Ada COCOMO they developed based on their experience at TRW.  The
> > presentations were given at the annual COCOMO meetings -- I don't know if
> > they were published anywhere else.

not metrics, just a caution:

5 or more years ago a project I was associated with failed because the
Ada part of the team was crippled: no run time debug -- all reported
back stuff was machine/assembly language level. They took to heavily
instrumenting their code, and got huge printouts of exactly what was
happening. And had to look through it line by line, loop cycle by loop
cycle until the problem was found. That was so slow that it killed the
project. Please do not let this happen to you. Their conclusion was
that C++ with good tools would have been better. I hope that there are
now good tools for embedded Ada.

Sean