* Ada networking (Adagio)
@ 2012-08-12 20:22 Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2012-08-12 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey, I was hoping to get a bit more familiar with using Ada for networking programs; I found referenced to Adagio, which is supposed to be (or have been, it's inactive now) a Gnutella2 program.

The project is inactive and none of the files appear to have been archived/downloadable. The last known source was contained in a zipfile adagio-src.2.1.e.zip, which I cannot find for download either.

I was wondering if anyone on this thread might have a copy laying around on their HD.

* Re: Ada networking (Adagio)
@ 2012-08-13 12:07 ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2012-08-13 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, August 12, 2012 9:22:04 PM UTC+1, Shark8 wrote:
> Hey, I was hoping to get a bit more familiar with using Ada for networking programs; I found referenced to Adagio, which is supposed to be (or have been, it's inactive now) a Gnutella2 program.
>

> The project is inactive and none of the files appear to have been archived/downloadable. The last known source was contained in a zipfile adagio-src.2.1.e.zip, which I cannot find for download either.
>

> I was wondering if anyone on this thread might have a copy laying around on their HD.

I have it - if you can send me you're email address, I'll forward it on.

-- Martin

* Re: Ada networking (Adagio)
@ 2012-08-13 13:45   ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2012-08-13 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, August 13, 2012 6:07:43 AM UTC-6, Martin wrote:
> On Sunday, August 12, 2012 9:22:04 PM UTC+1, Shark8 wrote:
>
> > Hey, I was hoping to get a bit more familiar with using Ada for networking programs; I found referenced to Adagio, which is supposed to be (or have been, it's inactive now) a Gnutella2 program.
>

> > The project is inactive and none of the files appear to have been archived/downloadable. The last known source was contained in a zipfile adagio-src.2.1.e.zip, which I cannot find for download either.
>

> > I was wondering if anyone on this thread might have a copy laying around on their HD.
>

> I have it - if you can send me you're email address, I'll forward it on.
>

> -- Martin

    one_winged_shark@gmail.com -- No underscores; and thank you very much.

* Re: Ada networking (Adagio)
@ 2012-08-13 14:34     ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2012-08-13 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, August 13, 2012 2:45:42 PM UTC+1, Shark8 wrote:
> On Monday, August 13, 2012 6:07:43 AM UTC-6, Martin wrote:
>
> > On Sunday, August 12, 2012 9:22:04 PM UTC+1, Shark8 wrote:
>

> > > Hey, I was hoping to get a bit more familiar with using Ada for networking programs; I found referenced to Adagio, which is supposed to be (or have been, it's inactive now) a Gnutella2 program.

> > > The project is inactive and none of the files appear to have been archived/downloadable. The last known source was contained in a zipfile adagio-src.2.1.e.zip, which I cannot find for download either.

> > > I was wondering if anyone on this thread might have a copy laying around on their HD.
>

> > I have it - if you can send me you're email address, I'll forward it on.
>

> > -- Martin
>

>     one_winged_shark@gmail.com -- No underscores; and thank you very much.

On it's way a while back now...let me know if it gets through ok...
-- Martin

* Re: Ada networking (Adagio)
@ 2012-08-20  8:59 ` Álex R. Mosteo
From: Álex R. Mosteo @ 2012-08-20  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shark8 wrote:

> Hey, I was hoping to get a bit more familiar with using Ada for networking
> programs; I found referenced to Adagio, which is supposed to be (or have
> been, it's inactive now) a Gnutella2 program.
>
> The project is inactive and none of the files appear to have been
> archived/downloadable. The last known source was contained in a zipfile
> adagio-src.2.1.e.zip, which I cannot find for download either.
>
> I was wondering if anyone on this thread might have a copy laying around
> on their HD.

I'm the author and I'm pretty sure I keep the whole history in some archived
SVN. If you're interested I could try to dig it out. Also, perhaps I could
simply convert it to git and put it in github.

I'm not sure how good a resource it is for learning from; I did learn a lot
about blocking and non-blocking sockets when programming that (I
experimented with both approaches -- IIRC a stack size related thread limit
in Windows prompted me to abandon blocking IO in the end), but the code more
or less grew up with little foreplanning.

Alex.

* Re: Ada networking (Adagio)
@ 2012-08-20 14:30   ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2012-08-20 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, August 20, 2012 2:59:00 AM UTC-6, Álex R. Mosteo wrote:
> Shark8 wrote:
>
> > Hey, I was hoping to get a bit more familiar with using Ada for networking
> > programs; I found referenced to Adagio, which is supposed to be (or have
> > been, it's inactive now) a Gnutella2 program.
> >
> > The project is inactive and none of the files appear to have been
> > archived/downloadable. The last known source was contained in a zipfile
> > adagio-src.2.1.e.zip, which I cannot find for download either.
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone on this thread might have a copy laying around
> > on their HD.
>

> I'm the author and I'm pretty sure I keep the whole history in some archived
> SVN. If you're interested I could try to dig it out. Also, perhaps I could
> simply convert it to git and put it in github.

Ah, that would be nice; I did get the zip from Martin though.

> I'm not sure how good a resource it is for learning from; I did learn a lot
> about blocking and non-blocking sockets when programming that (I
> experimented with both approaches -- IIRC a stack size related thread limit
> in Windows prompted me to abandon blocking IO in the end), but the code more
> or less grew up with little foreplanning.

Ah, I know how that is. The thing that's bugging me about it right now is the gnatpatch and runtime-configuration errors. (Still trying to figure them out.)

* Re: Ada networking (Adagio)
@ 2012-08-21  9:25     ` Álex R. Mosteo
From: Álex R. Mosteo @ 2012-08-21  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shark8 wrote:

> On Monday, August 20, 2012 2:59:00 AM UTC-6, Álex R. Mosteo wrote:
>> Shark8 wrote:
>>
>> > Hey, I was hoping to get a bit more familiar with using Ada for
>> > networking programs; I found referenced to Adagio, which is supposed to
>> > be (or have been, it's inactive now) a Gnutella2 program.
>> >
>> > The project is inactive and none of the files appear to have been
>> > archived/downloadable. The last known source was contained in a zipfile
>> > adagio-src.2.1.e.zip, which I cannot find for download either.
>> >
>> > I was wondering if anyone on this thread might have a copy laying
>> > around on their HD.
>>

>> I'm the author and I'm pretty sure I keep the whole history in some
>> archived SVN. If you're interested I could try to dig it out. Also,
>> perhaps I could simply convert it to git and put it in github.
>
> Ah, that would be nice; I did get the zip from Martin though.
>

>> I'm not sure how good a resource it is for learning from; I did learn a
>> lot about blocking and non-blocking sockets when programming that (I
>> experimented with both approaches -- IIRC a stack size related thread
>> limit in Windows prompted me to abandon blocking IO in the end), but the
>> code more or less grew up with little foreplanning.
>
> Ah, I know how that is. The thing that's bugging me about it right now is
> the gnatpatch and runtime-configuration errors. (Still trying to figure
> them out.)

Ah, right. There was a Calendar bug in the windows GNAT version at the time
that caused random thread lock-ups in delays. That caused me a lot of
headaches to track down; I managed with the help of people here:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.lang.ada/cdHjb8qqm5A/U8buGZrldhIJ

Also there were some other problems with unbounded strings IIRC.

I'm pretty sure that with recent Gnat versions you can dispense with the
patching of the compiler. OTOH, perhaps the code won't readily compile with
Gnat GPL 2012, but fixing whatever is now rejected might be easy.

I'm going to try to find it and put it in GitHub, and we can work from there
to put it in shape, if you want.

Alex.

* Re: Ada networking (Adagio)
@ 2012-08-21 15:25       ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2012-08-21 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:25:44 AM UTC-6, Álex R. Mosteo wrote:
> Shark8 wrote:
>

> > On Monday, August 20, 2012 2:59:00 AM UTC-6, Álex R. Mosteo wrote:
> >>

> >> I'm the author and I'm pretty sure I keep the whole history in some
> >> archived SVN. If you're interested I could try to dig it out. Also,
> >> perhaps I could simply convert it to git and put it in github.
>
> > Ah, that would be nice; I did get the zip from Martin though.
> >

> >> I'm not sure how good a resource it is for learning from; I did learn a
> >> lot about blocking and non-blocking sockets when programming that (I
> >> experimented with both approaches -- IIRC a stack size related thread
> >> limit in Windows prompted me to abandon blocking IO in the end), but the
> >> code more or less grew up with little foreplanning.
> >

> > Ah, I know how that is. The thing that's bugging me about it right now is
> > the gnatpatch and runtime-configuration errors. (Still trying to figure
> > them out.)
>
> Ah, right. There was a Calendar bug in the windows GNAT version at the time
> that caused random thread lock-ups in delays. That caused me a lot of
> headaches to track down; I managed with the help of people here:
>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.lang.ada/cdHjb8qqm5A/U8buGZrldhIJ

I'll have to check that out. Thank you for the reference.
{I also find it somewhat surprising that the Calendar would have a bug; timing seems to be one of the things that Ada as-a-language put a lot of thought into. Ironically addressing a lot of the "Tony the Pony" speech on common programming pitfalls.}

> Also there were some other problems with unbounded strings IIRC.
>
> I'm pretty sure that with recent Gnat versions you can dispense with the
> patching of the compiler. OTOH, perhaps the code won't readily compile with
> Gnat GPL 2012, but fixing whatever is now rejected might be easy.

Hm, I'll have to give it a try.

> I'm going to try to find it and put it in GitHub, and we can work from there
> to put it in shape, if you want.

That'd be great / thanks!

* Re: Ada networking (Adagio)
@ 2012-08-24 10:31         ` Álex R. Mosteo
From: Álex R. Mosteo @ 2012-08-24 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shark8 wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:25:44 AM UTC-6, Álex R. Mosteo wrote:
>> Shark8 wrote:

>> > Ah, that would be nice; I did get the zip from Martin though.

>> > Ah, I know how that is. The thing that's bugging me about it right now
>> > is the gnatpatch and runtime-configuration errors. (Still trying to
>> > figure them out.)
>>
>> Ah, right. There was a Calendar bug in the windows GNAT version at the
>> time that caused random thread lock-ups in delays. That caused me a lot
>> of headaches to track down; I managed with the help of people here:
>>
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.lang.ada/cdHjb8qqm5A/U8buGZrldhIJ
>
> I'll have to check that out. Thank you for the reference.
> {I also find it somewhat surprising that the Calendar would have a bug;
> {timing seems to be one of the things that Ada as-a-language put a lot of
> {thought into. Ironically addressing a lot of the "Tony the Pony" speech
> {on common programming pitfalls.}

It was a obscure bug in the old 3.15p version. As is the case with recent
free versions, they don't get patched and if some bug sneaks in we're stuck
with it for the remainder of their lifetime. The bug was specific to Windows
and some particular hardware IIRC.

>> Also there were some other problems with unbounded strings IIRC.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure that with recent Gnat versions you can dispense with the
>> patching of the compiler. OTOH, perhaps the code won't readily compile
>> with Gnat GPL 2012, but fixing whatever is now rejected might be easy.
>
> Hm, I'll have to give it a try.
>

>> I'm going to try to find it and put it in GitHub, and we can work from
>> there to put it in shape, if you want.
>
> That'd be great / thanks!

I'll give it a shot now then.

Alex.

* Re: Ada networking (Adagio)
@ 2012-08-29 11:08           ` Álex R. Mosteo
From: Álex R. Mosteo @ 2012-08-29 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Álex R. Mosteo wrote:

>>> I'm going to try to find it and put it in GitHub, and we can work from
>>> there to put it in shape, if you want.
>>
>> That'd be great / thanks!
>
> I'll give it a shot now then.

I've rescued my last version. The story seems missing though. I've made a
push to github at:

https://github.com/mosteo/adagio

Project file is adagio.gpr. There are others for related projects that never
got anywhere, so I'm leaving these for later.

It doesn't compile yet, although I've started fixing things around. I'm
pretty sure I've broken something in the process. Truth is, it relied too
much on Gnat sockets internals that have changed. It was somewhat
nightmarish getting consistent results in Windows and Linux, I remember now.
Well, at least I'll try to make it compile.

I'm also having problems with Pragmarc components that return limited types.
I think this is one of the few inconsistencies between Ada95 and 2005. I'm
making these things non-limited, but I'm not sure what are the
implications...

* Re: Ada networking (Adagio)
@ 2012-08-29 18:36             ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2012-08-29 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:08:08 AM UTC-6, Álex R. Mosteo wrote:
> Álex R. Mosteo wrote:
>

> Project file is adagio.gpr. There are others for related projects that never
> got anywhere, so I'm leaving these for later.

Alright, I'll grab a copy.

> It doesn't compile yet, although I've started fixing things around. I'm
> pretty sure I've broken something in the process. Truth is, it relied too
> much on Gnat sockets internals that have changed. It was somewhat
> nightmarish getting consistent results in Windows and Linux, I remember now.

Not surprising. I'm not sure if sockets are the best way to handle networking in-general -- though they certainly are the most popular.

> I'm also having problems with Pragmarc components that return limited types.
> I think this is one of the few inconsistencies between Ada95 and 2005. I'm
> making these things non-limited, but I'm not sure what are the
> implications...

Ah, something to note. I was playing around with the Ada 2012 / 2005 functionality in a testing project and found that GNAT (Adacore's free one) allowed my to specify different Ada-versions for spec and body. eg:

Pragma Ada_2005;
Package Testing is [...] end Testing;

------

Pragma Ada_2012;
Package Body Testing is [...] end Testing;

or vice-versa.

* Re: Ada networking (Adagio)
@ 2012-08-30  9:18               ` Álex R. Mosteo
From: Álex R. Mosteo @ 2012-08-30  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shark8 wrote:

> On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:08:08 AM UTC-6, Álex R. Mosteo wrote:
>> Álex R. Mosteo wrote:
>>

>> Project file is adagio.gpr. There are others for related projects that
>> never got anywhere, so I'm leaving these for later.
>
> Alright, I'll grab a copy.
>

>> It doesn't compile yet, although I've started fixing things around. I'm
>> pretty sure I've broken something in the process. Truth is, it relied too
>> much on Gnat sockets internals that have changed. It was somewhat
>> nightmarish getting consistent results in Windows and Linux, I remember
>> now.
>
> Not surprising. I'm not sure if sockets are the best way to handle
> networking in-general -- though they certainly are the most popular.

I've used Yarp (mandated in a project) and came to hate it. But I'm pretty
sure that there are better middlewares out there. From the point of view of
ready for use with Ada I'm curious about YAMI4 and zeromq.

>> I'm also having problems with Pragmarc components that return limited
>> types. I think this is one of the few inconsistencies between Ada95 and
>> 2005. I'm making these things non-limited, but I'm not sure what are the
>> implications...
>
> Ah, something to note. I was playing around with the Ada 2012 / 2005
> functionality in a testing project and found that GNAT (Adacore's free
> one) allowed my to specify different Ada-versions for spec and body. eg:
>
> Pragma Ada_2005;
> Package Testing is [...] end Testing;
>
> ------
>
> Pragma Ada_2012;
> Package Body Testing is [...] end Testing;
>
> or vice-versa.

Right, I had forgotten about the mode switches too. I'm thinking now that I
should revert in fact to ada95 mode, which is what existed at the time. I'll
give it a try.

Alex.

* Re: Ada networking (Adagio)
@ 2012-08-30 17:18                 ` Álex R. Mosteo
From: Álex R. Mosteo @ 2012-08-30 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

The current version compiles (in linux) with GPL2012 (gcc4.6 from Ubuntu
12.04 enters a busy loop, not tested with the saner Debian father), but from
there to it working... I'm not even sure that the G2 network operates
anymore.

Alex.

> Shark8 wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:08:08 AM UTC-6, Álex R. Mosteo wrote:
>>> Álex R. Mosteo wrote:
>>>

>>> Project file is adagio.gpr. There are others for related projects that
>>> never got anywhere, so I'm leaving these for later.
>>
>> Alright, I'll grab a copy.
>>

>>> It doesn't compile yet, although I've started fixing things around. I'm
>>> pretty sure I've broken something in the process. Truth is, it relied
>>> too much on Gnat sockets internals that have changed. It was somewhat
>>> nightmarish getting consistent results in Windows and Linux, I remember
>>> now.
>>
>> Not surprising. I'm not sure if sockets are the best way to handle
>> networking in-general -- though they certainly are the most popular.
>
> I've used Yarp (mandated in a project) and came to hate it. But I'm pretty
> sure that there are better middlewares out there. From the point of view
> of ready for use with Ada I'm curious about YAMI4 and zeromq.
>
>>> I'm also having problems with Pragmarc components that return limited
>>> types. I think this is one of the few inconsistencies between Ada95 and
>>> 2005. I'm making these things non-limited, but I'm not sure what are the
>>> implications...
>>
>> Ah, something to note. I was playing around with the Ada 2012 / 2005
>> functionality in a testing project and found that GNAT (Adacore's free
>> one) allowed my to specify different Ada-versions for spec and body. eg:
>>
>> Pragma Ada_2005;
>> Package Testing is [...] end Testing;
>>
>> ------
>>
>> Pragma Ada_2012;
>> Package Body Testing is [...] end Testing;
>>
>> or vice-versa.
>
> Right, I had forgotten about the mode switches too. I'm thinking now that
> I should revert in fact to ada95 mode, which is what existed at the time.
> I'll give it a try.
>
> Alex.

* Re: Ada networking (Adagio)
@ 2012-09-11 17:18                   ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2012-09-11 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, August 30, 2012 11:18:48 AM UTC-6, Álex R. Mosteo wrote:
> The current version compiles (in linux) with GPL2012 (gcc4.6 from Ubuntu
> 12.04 enters a busy loop, not tested with the saner Debian father), but from
> there to it working... I'm not even sure that the G2 network operates
> anymore.

The entire G2 network? I'd find that surprising.
Anyway, I got a copy and got it compiling for Windows, though it failed on linking with this error: "ld.exe: cannot find -lwin32ada" -- it reminds me of some of the problems I had compiling AWS, so I'll probably try using that same technique to fix the linking-problem.