From: prichtmyer@yahoo.com (Peter Richtmyer)
Subject: Re: Program Terminates ...
Date: 30 Dec 2003 14:31:28 -0800
Date: 2003-12-30T14:31:28-08:00	[thread overview]

"Jeff C," <nolongersafeto@userealemailsniff.com> wrote in message news:<tphIb.15634$xX.39631@attbi_s02>...

> I do notice all the cygwin errors
> you are getting saying that
> the data might not be meaningful
>
> Do you get the same results if you are not using the cygwin environment
> since GNAT is not officially
> supported on Cygwin (it is a currently a mingw based win32 distribution).

I am not using Cygwin - could not even find that DLL on my computer.
I think gnatmem is confused there. Also, the gnatmem output did show alot
of DEALLOC messages for unbounded_string's (along with the ALLOC's).

There are 3 major areas where I use unbounded_string's in the pgm. I
changed to fixed strings in one area, and have not seen memory
problems there any more. I really like the unbounded variety, but
can not have the program crashing all the time.

I used to run it more on Unix (Rational Ada) and only on Gnat for
development. And did not have these problems. But this version is Gnat only.
(Using Gnat Sockets). I have made other changes too. But the messaging
means more exercising of the Unbounded_String objects I have, and it
seems to be the cause of the memory problems.

From the RM, it sounds like Bounded_String's would be as bad. It said
they should not be dynamically allocated.

Hey. Could it be that the Unbounded_String's are not the problem per se,
but the fact that they are within record objects being dynamically
allocated is the problem?  Or one of the problems?

thanks,
Peter