From: mockturtle <framefritti@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: preferred Ada IDE?
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 10:24:36 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2014-08-12T10:24:36-07:00	[thread overview]

On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 4:42:00 PM UTC+2, Stephen Leake wrote:
> mockturtle <framefritti@gmail.com> writes:
>

> > On Friday, August 1, 2014 10:39:24 PM UTC+2, pinc...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> >> I'm wondering what the prefered IDE is for Ada.
> >>
> >> Mainly because I've noticed that AdaGide doesn't seem to work
> >> properly if all the packages aren't all in the same folder as the
> >> main program you're working with.
>
> > I used emacs with Ada mode, then I converted to GPS.
>
> Can you elaborate on why you switched?
>
> Have you tried Emacs Ada mode 5.0?
>
> I'm interested in improving Ada mode.

I switched long time ago (few years).  I do not know the Ada mode version I used, but if 5.0 is fairly recent, almost surely I used an old one.

Why did I switch?  Well, there is no a special reason for that.  I tried GPS and I liked it, although at that time it was not perfect.

I guess that what I like most in GPS are the nice integration with the other Adacore tools, the auto-completion of aggregate constants and function calls, the possibility of jumping to a function/procedure/type/... definition with a ctrl-click.   I never used SPARK (so far), but from the menus it seems to me that SPARK is nicely integrated too.

Riccardo