* Intel buys Wind River
@ 2018-06-27 14:55 Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2018-06-27 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ada is strong on VxWorks, thanks to AdaCore. In your opinion, would this
have positive or negative consequences, or maybe none?

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: Intel buys Wind River
@ 2018-06-27 15:31 ` Dennis Lee Bieber
From: Dennis Lee Bieber @ 2018-06-27 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 27 Jun 2018 16:55:33 +0200, "Dmitry A. Kazakov"
<mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de> declaimed the following:

>Ada is strong on VxWorks, thanks to AdaCore. In your opinion, would this
>have positive or negative consequences, or maybe none?

	What decade is your news coming from? Intel /bought/ Wind River in
2009!

	A Google for "wind river intel" has reports dated April 3 2018 that
Intel was /selling/ Wind River to TPG (said sale completed recently).

* Re: Intel buys Wind River
@ 2018-06-27 15:39 ` Dan'l Miller
From: Dan'l Miller @ 2018-06-27 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, June 27, 2018 at 9:55:35 AM UTC-5, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> Ada is strong on VxWorks, thanks to AdaCore. In your opinion, would this
> have positive or negative consequences, or maybe none?

Well, given that this acquisition of WindRiver Systems by Intel occurred in 2009, I think that we have a pretty good idea what the answer to your question is nowadays.

I think that you mean:  Intel •sells• WindRiver to private-equity firm TPG Capital, and then those impact questions.

* Re: Intel buys Wind River
@ 2018-06-27 15:51   ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2018-06-27 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2018-06-27 17:39, Dan'l Miller wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 27, 2018 at 9:55:35 AM UTC-5, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
>> Ada is strong on VxWorks, thanks to AdaCore. In your opinion, would this
>> have positive or negative consequences, or maybe none?
>
> Well, given that this acquisition of WindRiver Systems by Intel occurred in 2009, I think that we have a pretty good idea what the answer to your question is nowadays.
>
> I think that you mean:  Intel •sells• WindRiver to private-equity firm TPG Capital, and then those impact questions.

OK, I stand corrected. So nothing to worry or enjoy?

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: Intel buys Wind River
@ 2018-06-27 16:25     ` Dan'l Miller
From: Dan'l Miller @ 2018-06-27 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, June 27, 2018 at 10:51:07 AM UTC-5, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> On 2018-06-27 17:39, Dan'l Miller wrote:
> > On Wednesday, June 27, 2018 at 9:55:35 AM UTC-5, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> >> Ada is strong on VxWorks, thanks to AdaCore. In your opinion, would this
> >> have positive or negative consequences, or maybe none?
> >
> > Well, given that this acquisition of WindRiver Systems by Intel occurred in 2009, I think that we have a pretty good idea what the answer to your question is nowadays.
> >
> > I think that you mean:  Intel •sells• WindRiver to private-equity firm TPG Capital, and then those impact questions.
>
> OK, I stand corrected. So nothing to worry or enjoy?

TPG = Texas Pacific Group

https://www.tpg.com/industries/technology

https://www.tpg.com/portfolio?field_industries_target_id=All&field_platforms_target_id=All&field_region_target_id=All&field_title_search=&sort_by=title&sort_order=ASC&page=0

Looking through the extensive portfolio of their partial- and whole-ownership companies would be an indicator of what they do or don't do to tech companies.  At first glance, I see that they:
1) owned Alltel, which they merged into mega AT&T in 2013;
2) own Intergraph, a science & engineering software company;
3) facilitated IBM's sale of its PC/laptop division to Lenovo years ago;
4) owns McAfee, which it bought from Intel divestiture in 2016;
5) owned SABRE (the airline-ticket reservation company) before taking it back public;
6) owns zScaler, cloud computing.

A number of years ago TPG was one of the private-equity firms that (along with Carlysle, Blackstone, and Permira) owned Freescale, which ended up more positive than negative.

If I had to guess, McAfee (also from Intel) and zScaler (industry allied to WindRiver) are the most indicative of TPG's current way of amplifying value of a company.

* Re: Intel buys Wind River
@ 2018-06-27 18:53       ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2018-06-27 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2018-06-27 18:25, Dan'l Miller wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 27, 2018 at 10:51:07 AM UTC-5, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, given that this acquisition of WindRiver Systems by Intel occurred in 2009, I think that we have a pretty good idea what the answer to your question is nowadays.
>>>
>>> I think that you mean:  Intel •sells• WindRiver to private-equity firm TPG Capital, and then those impact questions.
>>
>> OK, I stand corrected. So nothing to worry or enjoy?
>
> TPG = Texas Pacific Group
>
> https://www.tpg.com/industries/technology
>
> https://www.tpg.com/portfolio?field_industries_target_id=All&field_platforms_target_id=All&field_region_target_id=All&field_title_search=&sort_by=title&sort_order=ASC&page=0
>
> Looking through the extensive portfolio of their partial- and whole-ownership companies would be an indicator of what they do or don't do to tech companies.  At first glance, I see that they:
> 1) owned Alltel, which they merged into mega AT&T in 2013;
> 2) own Intergraph, a science & engineering software company;
> 3) facilitated IBM's sale of its PC/laptop division to Lenovo years ago;
> 4) owns McAfee, which it bought from Intel divestiture in 2016;
> 5) owned SABRE (the airline-ticket reservation company) before taking it back public;
> 6) owns zScaler, cloud computing.
>
> A number of years ago TPG was one of the private-equity firms that (along with Carlysle, Blackstone, and Permira) owned Freescale, which ended up more positive than negative.

Freescale was not very successful in promoting PPC?

> If I had to guess, McAfee (also from Intel) and zScaler (industry allied to WindRiver) are the most indicative of TPG's current way of amplifying value of a company.

TPG looks quite chaotic. Let's hope VxWorks will not end like VMS.

Thanks for the information.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: Intel buys Wind River
@ 2018-06-27 19:05 ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2018-06-27 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, June 27, 2018 at 8:55:35 AM UTC-6, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> Ada is strong on VxWorks, thanks to AdaCore. In your opinion, would this
> have positive or negative consequences, or maybe none?

I don't think it will have negative consequences, contrawise I don't think that it will have much impact on the positive side of things either. (Simple fact: VxWorks is a much smaller/more-uncommon system than Windows or Linux.)

Having a good up-to-date compiler for the release of x86_64 OpenVMS may even prove to be more beneficial than VxWorks, ultimately... though AFAIK/TTBOMK there's not any intention for any modern compiler there.

* Re: Intel buys Wind River
@ 2018-06-27 20:41   ` Dan'l Miller
From: Dan'l Miller @ 2018-06-27 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, June 27, 2018 at 2:05:57 PM UTC-5, Shark8 wrote:
> Having a good up-to-date compiler for the release of x86_64 OpenVMS may even prove to be more
> beneficial than VxWorks, ultimately

  How so?  VxWorks is at the heart of lots o' stuff in the hardware-with-embedded-software world, including IoT nowadays.  Is OpenVMS still seeing new accounts added at all?

* [OT] VMS, was: Re: Intel buys Wind River
@ 2018-06-27 23:27     ` Simon Clubley
From: Simon Clubley @ 2018-06-27 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2018-06-27, Dan'l Miller <optikos@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 27, 2018 at 2:05:57 PM UTC-5, Shark8 wrote:
>> Having a good up-to-date compiler for the release of x86_64 OpenVMS may even prove to be more
>> beneficial than VxWorks, ultimately
>
>   How so?  VxWorks is at the heart of lots o' stuff in the hardware-with-embedded-software world, including IoT nowadays.  Is OpenVMS still seeing new accounts added at all?

VMS has an installed base which is large enough for a company
called VSI to be in the middle of porting it to x86-64. I would be
surprised if VMS is picking up completely new customers however.

(But it may be picking up some currently out of support customers).

VSI are also providing support for VMS on Itanium and even Alpha as
it turns out there's enough Alpha customers to make the latter viable.

HPE are also currently offloading some of their VMS support functions
to VSI.

Simon.

* Re: Intel buys Wind River
@ 2018-06-27 23:48     ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2018-06-27 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, June 27, 2018 at 2:41:11 PM UTC-6, Dan'l Miller wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 27, 2018 at 2:05:57 PM UTC-5, Shark8 wrote:
> > Having a good up-to-date compiler for the release of x86_64 OpenVMS may even prove to be more
> > beneficial than VxWorks, ultimately
>
>   How so?  VxWorks is at the heart of lots o' stuff in the hardware-with-embedded-software world, including IoT nowadays.

Simply because I believe Ada ought to be considered for more than *just* "hardware-with-embedded-software world". AdaCore heavily pushes Ada as high-integrity and embedded, and while it *is* suited to those rolls, the impression I've gotten at first blush is that it's presented almost in exclusion-of your normal "general programming" solution.

A tangentially related example: AdaCore has and maintains Ada Web Server... which they don't use on any of their websites. / Having your own public-facing systems running your own products is a good way to show confidence in them.

> Is OpenVMS still seeing new accounts added at all?

Simon answered about VSI; the port to x86_64 should be done in 2019. I would be surprised if, after releasing an x86-port they *didn't* accept new customers.