* A Beginning Developer needs advice...
@ 2002-12-23  8:09 Buck
From: Buck @ 2002-12-23  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello All!

I need the benefit of your advice and expertise as programmers and
developers.  I am starting over
as a programmer, and need to decide on a development tool.

I want to develop applications for the desktop, and PDAs with an emphasis on
internet programming.
I would like to maximize my efforts by developing my ideas for multiple
platforms; Microsoft Windows (all versions of Windows from Win9x to XP to
CE), Palm OS, and Linux.

My programming background includes 8086 Assembler, BASIC, C, C++, FORTRAN,
PASCAL, and some Java.  It appears that there are many languages and
Integrated Development Environments available (which seem to come in
multiple flavors as well).

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Buck
(buck@clong.com)

p.s.  Please feel free to reply by e-mail or newsgroup with your
recommendations and reasons for your choice of language and IDE.

* Re: A Beginning Developer needs advice...
@ 2002-12-23 11:42 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2002-12-23 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <nxzN9.275942$pN3.21211@sccrnsc03>, "Buck" <buck@clong.com> writes:

> I need the benefit of your advice and expertise as programmers and
> developers.

Warning: this is a _massively_ cross-posted topic.

* Re: A Beginning Developer needs advice...
@ 2002-12-23 15:22 ` Jim Kennedy
From: Jim Kennedy @ 2002-12-23 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

By the time you learn these the buzz words will have changed.
How does one get to Carnegie Hall?  Practice.
Jim