From: briot.emmanuel@gmail.com
Subject: Re: GNAT user-specified (via Raise_Exception) warning message size limit
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 23:24:43 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2018-02-18T23:24:43-08:00	[thread overview]

> That's what your organisation is paying for! and they like to get your
> questions!

As a former AdaCore employee, I confirm they like to get questions from supported customers. After all, that's what helps contract renewal at the end of the year !

AdaCore has not always done a great job with unsupported customers, though. This is mostly because they already get so many new tickets every day (including the internally generated one, I think that must be around 60 a day or something -- given the relatively small size of the company and the time it takes to properly answer them, that's a lot).

But no report gets ignored in the end. For customer ones, there are plenty of scripts in place to catch unanswered requested.

For unsupported customers, the initial reply might be of the kind "already fixed", in which case you can only wait for the next release, or "can't reproduce, we're closing", in which case it falls back to you to provide more details (this kind of message is in theory not sent to supported customers where a long dialog might take place to help AdaCore reproduce with the specific version of the compiler you use).

Once AdaCore has been able to reproduce the issue, bugs are generally fixed pretty fast, especially in the compiler (and I like to think in GNATCOLL and GPS while I was there :-) Enhancement requests are another story, since there's a fine balance between adding new features, and having to maintain them forever afterwards. Sometimes it takes a few similar reports until a general solution can be found, for instance.

Emmanuel