From: kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: Re: Newbie with questions
Date: 1999/09/02
Date: 1999-09-02T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <37CEF309.29B2F079@mnsinc.com>, John Behen <mindgasm@mnsinc.com> writes:

> Once again, thanks for the help. But a quick question.  How hard is Ada
> to integrate into web design?  Or is that a road I don't want to
> travel.....

Certainly Ada will fit into web site _implementation_ as well as any
compiled language. Typically people see the strength of Ada as being
not so much whether it will fit into a particular setting (generally
yes) but rather once it is there how well it avoids bugs.  Of course
bugs come not from the language but from the programmer and how the
programmer uses the language.  Ada has many features to facilitate
avoiding errors in your programs, and that is what many of us cherish.
You can get that benefit, by the way, without using every single feature
in the language.  Tasking is a major feature of Ada, but I went for
years without ever using tasking (I use it now).  I don't think I
have ever used floating point math, because I don't work on that sort
of problem.

But you asked about web "design", and I am not sure Ada is particularly
relevant to the "design" part, unless you were writing a program to help
designers and chose to write it in Ada.  Of course there are many programs
already out there to do that, and a lot of Ada people have quality as
their main objective, so they readily admit that a high-quality program
already written in some other language is better than writing from scratch
just to have it in Ada.

There are some programs out there however, even in Ada, that are not
high quality.

Larry Kilgallen