From: kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: Re: How To Write Unmaintainable Code
Date: 1999/11/23
Date: 1999-11-23T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <Mjr_3.405$aj3.40078@news.wenet.net>, xanthian@well.com (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
> In article <81csuk$vku$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> Robert Dewar  <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> wrote:

>>_way_
>>"live",
>
>>There is no need to EVER send HTML to newsgroups like this. I
>>personally immediately delete any posting including HTML without
>>reading it.
>
> Ah, yes, the old "invincible ignorance" ploy.  The article might
> contain the cure for cancer, the HTML might demonstrate a Turing
> complete gnat compiler constructed entirely out of SGML tags, but if it
> offends the eye, out with it, blaming the messenger without first
> reading the message.

> Even in this very newsgroup, careful mining in this fashion will
> uncover the occasional nugget of great worth, and meanwhile I teach
> myself new, more widely useful, editor scripting techniques.

I have too many years of editor scripting experience.
I have too few hours of available time.
I vote with Robert.

I prefer to read posts from those who know how to avoid HTML
due to the considerably larger probability that they are not
a waste of my time.  This is not very different than the bias
I exercise to favor posts that demonstrate the ability to deal
with spelling, grammar, punctuation, and mixed case.

Larry Kilgallen