From: kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: Re: Bugs or Mistakes?
Date: 1999/11/13
Date: 1999-11-13T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <19991112202656.2368.rocketmail@web216.mail.yahoo.com>, MaryAnn Atkinson <maryann_30@yahoo.com> writes:
> Richard D Riehle wrote:
>
>> What we call a "bug" is actually a mistake. Someone tried to do
>> something and made a mistake.  The mistake results in a defect.
>> The defect is a potential run-time fault. Managers need to take
>> the responsibility for elminating the word "bug" from the
>> vocabulary of their software personnel.
>
> Why so harsh words? You are talking about a "bug" like its
> a dirty word, or like we are somehow not allowed to make them...
>
> Bugs are mistakes ONLY if they are not found and corrected!

What exists in the software is a defect.  A mistake might be
the action that introduced the defect, but since defects are
often due to sins of omission rather than sins of commission,
looking for the occasion on which the "mistake" was made might
be difficult.

Of course not all defects deserve to be fixed, especially
since the fix often will destabilize the resulting software.

My experience has been that organizations with the guts to use
the term "defect" have a better chance at good quality control.
Your mileage may vary.

Larry Kilgallen