From: kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: Re: Beginner's questions
Date: 1999/05/04
Date: 1999-05-04T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <7gn2d5$a8f$1@cnn.Princeton.EDU>, mcc@entropy.cs.princeton.edu (Martin C. Carlisle) writes:
> Unbounded strings are required not to leak memory.  See A.4.5(88)
> "No storage associated with an Unbounded_String object shall be lost upon
> assignment or scope exit."
>
> This sentence immediately reminds me of Ada.Finalization.Controlled, and
> not suprisingly, GNAT uses controlled types to implement unbounded
> strings.  I have not checked ACVC, but I suspect it would be very hard
> to validate a compiler not meeting this requirement.

Of course proof that no memory is leaked under ACVC is not proof that
memory could never leak, so I would still urge the poster with the
Air Traffic Control system to test it for memory leaks after it has
been built.  After a plane has crashed seems like the incorrect time
to ask to have the compiler price refunded.

Larry Kilgallen