* Re: ada83 or 95?
@ 1999-02-23  0:00 ` Hans Marqvardsen
From: Hans Marqvardsen @ 1999-02-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Corvus wrote:

> Which Ada should a person that's never used Ada before use?  Ada83 or
> Ada95?  Is there a big difference, like the difference between C & C++?
> --
> This is my .SIG file.  Enjoy.

IMHO, go for Ada95, if at all possible for you.

Clever people spent some 12 years speculating on how to improve Ada83,
coming up with Ada95.

Also, good (and free)  compilers are available.

* ada83 or 95?
@ 1999-02-24  0:00 Corvus
From: Corvus @ 1999-02-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-02-24  0:00 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1999-02-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <36D39A76.FDCAF8A1@GoAway.com>, Corvus <NoWay@GoAway.com> writes:
> Which Ada should a person that's never used Ada before use?  Ada83 or
> Ada95?  Is there a big difference, like the difference between C & C++?

There is no big difference for a beginner, particularly if you
just happen to use features that were in Ada83.

There are a few platforms for which only Ada83 compilers are available,
so that is the main reason to restrict yourself to Ada83 features for
new work.

Larry Kilgallen

* Re: ada83 or 95?
@ 1999-02-25  0:00   ` robert_dewar
From: robert_dewar @ 1999-02-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1999Feb24.031134.1@eisner>,
  Kilgallen@eisner.decus.org.nospam wrote:
> There are a few platforms for which only Ada83 compilers
> are available, so that is the main reason to restrict
> yourself to Ada83 features for new work.
>
> Larry Kilgallen

Larry constantly likes to remind us that there is no Ada 95
for obsolete systems like VAX/VMS, but the fact is that
there are Ada 95 compilers available for all commonly used
current systems, and there are several machines for which
only Ada 95 is available, and Ada 83 is not available!

There is absolutely NO reason at this stage to restrict
yourself to the features of an obsolete language. There
are many features in Ada 95 that are relevant even to
beginning users of Ada (for example, unsigned types are
useful, and there is NO reason for beginners to have to
learn the arcane Ada 83 rules about ordering of basic
and later declarations).

* Re: ada83 or 95?
@ 1999-02-25  0:00     ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1999-02-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7b2lug$fh$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, robert_dewar@my-dejanews.com writes:
> In article <1999Feb24.031134.1@eisner>,
>   Kilgallen@eisner.decus.org.nospam wrote:
>> There are a few platforms for which only Ada83 compilers
>> are available, so that is the main reason to restrict
>> yourself to Ada83 features for new work.
>>
>> Larry Kilgallen
>
> Larry constantly likes to remind us that there is no Ada 95
> for obsolete systems like VAX/VMS, but the fact is that
> there are Ada 95 compilers available for all commonly used
> current systems, and there are several machines for which
> only Ada 95 is available, and Ada 83 is not available!

I believe MVS also falls into the category, aside from Tuck's
Ada-to-C translator.

Certainly VAX is "currently used" although sales of new models
have declined as would be expected.

Larry Kilgallen