From: kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: Re: When cross-posting, don't annoy the pig
Date: 1999/12/23
Date: 1999-12-23T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <MOs84.22$WC4.4570@news.wenet.net>, "Mike Silva" <mjsilva@jps.net> writes:
> I've been thinking about this since it was posted, and I agree that
> gratuitous (key word!) Ada references are to be avoided.  Still, in many
> language-neutral groups that are quite relevant to Ada there seems to be an
> unspoken C/C++ "assumption".  I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to
> post some form of Ada mini-FAQ to these groups, not covering the entire
> language in detail, but focusing on those areas of the language which are
> appropriate to the particular newsgroup.

I think a FAQ in that environment comes across as too evangelistic.
My preference is to wait until someone asks for a sample of code and
does not indicate that only C (or only Fortran) is acceptable. Then
giving them the solution in Ada can often get the point across but
with somewhat of a lower degree of rant.  Of course this works best
when what they are trying to do is a lot easier in Ada.

Larry KIlgallen