From: kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: Re: How To Compile Ada Prog Interfaced With Fortran
Date: 1998/09/23
Date: 1998-09-23T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <william.oliver-2309981150180001@tele-anx0207.colorado.edu>, william.oliver@colorado.edu (oliver) writes:
> In article <87ogs6g498.fsf@zaphod.enst.fr>, sam@ada.eu.org wrote:

>>Or better, put your Fortran objects into a library (let's call it libft.a),
>>and add a <<pragma Linker_Options ("-lft");>> in an Ada package that
>>uses that library.
>>
>>  Sam
>
> This seems to good to be true. Could one use this approach to gain
> complete access to LAPACK or to the Numerical Recipes software? Or is this
> something that one can do in theory but no one does in practice? I'm
> looking into using Ada for numeric programming, but I'm disheartened to
> find that there is very little supporting code available. Is this because
> it is very easy in Ada to access existing functions in such packages as
> LAPACK?

Supposedly Ada is devoted to reusing good software.
It would be fatuous to adopt an attitude that software
cannot be "good" if it was written in another language.
This is particularly the case where the nature of the
software is the specialty of the other languages, as
numerics are to Fortran.

Larry Kilgallen