* Re: real time sharing of files by Ada and C on DEC system
       [not found] <365445e0.1685548@news.netrax.net>
@ 1998-11-19  0:00 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1998-11-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <365445e0.1685548@news.netrax.net>, wyeru@athotmail.com (Mike) writes:

> I have a requirement to open a file in Ada.  As the data is being placed in the file by the Ada program, a second file is opened
> which identifies which data elements in the first go together.  There are several data sets in the file.  I have a requirement to
> generate a C program on a DEC system to access both files and pull out a particular data set as the Ada program is still running.
>
> Any pointers or experience doing something like this?  I need to know what key words and tricky phrases to look for in the manuals
> to make sure the two programs can use the files at the same time.

Since you don't further qualify "DEC system" I will presume VMS.
Just make sure your "FORM" parameter on the Ada OPEN call specifies
that the appropriate level of file sharing is permitted. Once a record
has been written by Ada, it will be accessible to C (or any other language),
even though the file is still open for write.

Of course you have to take the same precautions with your C program.

* Re: real time sharing of files by Ada and C on DEC system
@ 1998-11-20  0:00   ` olaf_nielsen
From: olaf_nielsen @ 1998-11-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On OpenVMS, use:

    Text_Io.Open(File => ...
                 Mode => Text_Io.OUT_FILE,
                 Name => ...
                 Form => "SHARING; GET YES;"); -- allow others to read.

Olaf