* I NEED HELP WITH TRUE BASIC.... Willing to pay $$$$ for some help!
@ 1998-04-28  0:00 Dorran Epstein
From: Dorran Epstein @ 1998-04-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

hello; I am a college student currently taking Computers for
Business....

We are currently working with TrueBasic on the Macs....

I have no clue how to do one of my assignements; if any of you could
help; I would be most greatful..... I am completely desperate.

here is the problem......

Write a program to convert fluid ounces into gallons, quarts, pints,
cups, and ounces. Ask the user to supply the number of ounces. Round off
the number they supply and then do the conversion. The program should
print out the answer but not bother to print any value that is zero.
Example: The user types 329.7 ounces. The program should print out "330
ounces is the same as 2 gallons, 2 quarts, 1 cup, and 2 ounces." (Notice
it didn't print out "0 pints".) For those who need to know: 8 ounces in
a cup, 2 cups in a pint, 2 pints in a quart, and 4 quarts in a gallon.

and if you have time on your hands.... here is another one:

Write a program that reads in the information on the names of parks,
their total acreage and how many miles of hiking trails they contain.
Use READ/DATA and a sentinel to mark the end of the data. This program
should produce two pieces of output. First, print the name of the park
with the most miles of hiking trails. Secondly, print the name of the
park closest in size to the average acreage. (Hint: to get this second
item, you will have to calculate the average and have the other two
variables - one to hold the name of the closest sized park so far and
the other to contain how far away from the average size it was. As you
work your way through all the parks calculating how far each park's size
is from your average - you only need to worry about the absolute value
of this difference. Each time, you find a park closer to the average,
you adjust these two variables. You will want to initialize the "how far
away" variable to some large number before you start).

I have no clue what to do for these.... If you can help me out, or god
forbid, solve the problem for me; I'd be most appreciative (hell, I'll
even pay you $15 for your time). Please help me.... I am desperate as
hell.

It is due Thursday afternoon.....

If you know how to solve these problems, e-mail me the answers, and your
home address so I know where to send the money to.....

My e-mail address is:     v8-jag@worldnet.att.net

Please help me out!!!!

thanks,
ron epstein.

* Re: I NEED HELP WITH TRUE BASIC.... Willing to pay $$$$ for some help!
@ 1998-04-29  0:00 ` Frank Marcos
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Frank Marcos @ 1998-04-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

You shouldn't be buying your way to a degree. Why not ask for info that will
help you to learn it for yourself

* Re: I NEED HELP WITH TRUE BASIC.... Willing to pay $$$$ for some help!
@ 1998-04-29  0:00 ` Scott Vieth
       [not found] ` <01bd75a2$21841d20$35101a26@DONL.BRIGADOON.COM>
From: Scott Vieth @ 1998-04-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: v8-jag

Dorran Epstein wrote:

> hello; I am a college student currently taking Computers for
> Business....
>
> We are currently working with TrueBasic on the Macs....
>
> I have no clue how to do one of my assignements; if any of you could
> help; I would be most greatful..... I am completely desperate.

You are also a loser.  Pick another major if this simple programhas you
stumped.  I was writing stuff like this in eighth grade.

> Write a program that reads in the information on the names of parks,
> their total acreage and how many miles of hiking trails they contain.
> Use READ/DATA and a sentinel to mark the end of the data. This program
> should produce two pieces of output. First, print the name of the park
> with the most miles of hiking trails. Secondly, print the name of the
> park closest in size to the average acreage. (Hint: to get this second
> item, you will have to calculate the average and have the other two
> variables - one to hold the name of the closest sized park so far and
> the other to contain how far away from the average size it was. As you
> work your way through all the parks calculating how far each park's size
> is from your average - you only need to worry about the absolute value
> of this difference. Each time, you find a park closer to the average,
> you adjust these two variables. You will want to initialize the "how far
> away" variable to some large number before you start).

Instead of wasting time by re-typing the handout from the prof, why
didn'tyou start working on the program?

> I have no clue what to do for these.... If you can help me out, or god
> forbid, solve the problem for me; I'd be most appreciative (hell, I'll
> even pay you $15 for your time). Please help me.... I am desperate as
> hell.

Just *reading* your post used up $15 worth of my time.  You'llbe getting a
bill from me in the mail...

> It is due Thursday afternoon.....

Sucks to be you.

> If you know how to solve these problems, e-mail me the answers, and your
> home address so I know where to send the money to.....
>
> My e-mail address is:     v8-jag@worldnet.att.net
>
> Please help me out!!!!

No.

> thanks,
> ron epstein.

You are a loser, Ron.  And you have a loser email address.
When I was in college, I posted questions to the InfoVAX
discussion list to learn more about VMS and teach myself the
things that were not covered in normal coursework.  I never
asked the list subscribers to do homework for me.  Before his untimely
passing, I even subjected myself to the possiblity of a nuclear
flame session by directly asking Carl J. Lydick questions about VMS systems.

Luckily, Carl was patient with me and answered all my questions
without opening the napalm spigot.

Pay your dues, boy, and learn the stuff like everyone else has.

-Scott  >:^(

* Re: I NEED HELP WITH TRUE BASIC.... Willing to pay $$$$ for some help!
@ 1998-04-30  0:00   ` Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
From: Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- @ 1998-04-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3547A759.C4399564@ameritech.net>, Scott Vieth <svieth@ameritech.net> writes:
> Dorran Epstein wrote:
>
>> hello; I am a college student currently taking Computers for
>> Business....

...and at Rutgers, no less!

Rutgers is the State University of NJ.  So embarassing is this fact that
the school hides this in the guise of calling itself Rutgers.

>> We are currently working with TrueBasic on the Macs....

...and so, this moron posts the question to comp.os.vms and myriad other
unrelated usenet forums.

>> I have no clue how to do one of my assignements; if any of you could
>> help; I would be most greatful..... I am completely desperate.
>
> You are also a loser.  Pick another major if this simple programhas you
> stumped.  I was writing stuff like this in eighth grade.

Agreed.  How about an associate degree in something really challenging!
Try Physical Education.

> Instead of wasting time by re-typing the handout from the prof, why
> didn'tyou start working on the program?

Those who can do!  Those who can't type.  Those who can't type take gym.

> Just *reading* your post used up $15 worth of my time.  You'llbe getting a
> bill from me in the mail...

There's an idea!  How about a collective response!  Everybody that read
this student's request and/or answered should send a bill to the Rutgers
Univerity Comptrollers Office for tutorial expenses.

>> It is due Thursday afternoon.....
>
> Sucks to be you.

I think this guy should go hang out until Friday at one of the watering
holes on Easton Ave. and drink, until he pukes, to his future success in
the real world.  Ron is destined to start up a mom-and-pop software shop
and steal the efforts of others as his own and then, sue the originator
for ownership!  A great future for Ron or, at a minimum, his law(lie)yer.

> You are a loser, Ron.  And you have a loser email address.
> When I was in college, I posted questions to the InfoVAX
> discussion list to learn more about VMS and teach myself the
> things that were not covered in normal coursework.  I never
> asked the list subscribers to do homework for me.  Before his untimely
> passing, I even subjected myself to the possiblity of a nuclear
> flame session by directly asking Carl J. Lydick questions about VMS systems.

Scott's a youngsta here in comp.os.vms but at least he's forthcoming and
can do his own work honestly.

> Luckily, Carl was patient with me and answered all my questions
> without opening the napalm spigot.

:)  Carl must have been hitting the Valium and Prozac rather heavily at
that time!

> Pay your dues, boy, and learn the stuff like everyone else has.

Ron should drop out, walk across the street from Marita's Cantina and
start a shoe-shine stand at the train station.

--
VAXman-                                                     VAXman@TMESIS.COM
OpenVMS APE certification number: AAA-0001

... and in the end, the money you take is equal to the money you make.

* Re: I NEED HELP WITH TRUE BASIC.... Willing to pay $$$$ for some help!
@ 1998-04-30  0:00 ` ROGER BAGULA
       [not found] ` <01bd75a2$21841d20$35101a26@DONL.BRIGADOON.COM>
From: ROGER BAGULA @ 1998-04-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

dear Dorran Epstein <dorran@email.eden.rutgers.edu>
Everybody needs some help getting started. here's the True basic help
page. If you ask they will try to help for free.
http://www.truebasic.com/
Respectfully,
Roger L. Bagula
tftn@earthlink.net
11759Waterhill Road
Lakeside,Ca 92040-2905
tel: 619-5610814

@ 1998-05-02  0:00   ` Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
From: Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- @ 1998-05-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <01bd75a2$21841d20$35101a26@DONL.BRIGADOON.COM>, "Donnie" <Donl@brigadoon.com> writes:

> SHAME SHAME ON YOU!! Experience cannot be bought you have to
> fight, struggle, and bust your brain to be a programmer.
> Ask for help but don't ask people to do the work for you.
> You will never learn by not making mistakes.  I doubt anyone
> will do as you ask.  If they do SHAME ON THEM.  They are not
> helping they are hurting you in the long-run.

Oh!  Look out "Donnie"!  Self appointed usenet post cop dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu
will be knocking at your e-mail box to harangue and castigate you and postul-
ate relational and irrational self-importance!

--

@ 1998-05-04  0:00 Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-96
From: Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-96 @ 1998-05-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dorran Epstein <dorran@EMAIL.EDEN.RUTGERS.EDU> writes:

>hello; I am a college student currently taking Computers for
>Business....

<pointless pleading for subcontracted homework writing deleted>

    Here's how you solve your problem:

    1) Take all of your college text books and put them back in the
    box in which they came. (I hope you saved the sales receipt.)

    2) Bring them back to the campus bookstore and ask them to refund
    your money.

    3) If they ask why, explain to them that you have absolutely no
    interest whatsoever in getting an education.

    I'm sorely tempted to do a little digging at Rutgers to find the
    e-mail addresses of all the computer profs and send them a copy of
    all future posts of this nature.

    What I *will* do for sure is put this name in my Rolodex just on
    the off chance that a resume comes in from Dorran and I'll know to
    give it all the consideration it deserves.

    MDC

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer     Voice:     561.796.8997
Pratt & Whitney GESP, M/S 731-95, P.O.B. 109600  Fax:       561.796.4669
West Palm Beach, FL, 33410-9600                  Internet:  CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
    "Because that's where they keep the money."
        --  Willie Sutton when asked why he robbed banks.