From: kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: Re: Where is a Rename_File
Date: 1998/03/02
Date: 1998-03-02T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <01bd45ec$6f70be20$LocalHost@---->, "Dmitriy Anisimkov" <ts@quadrat.omsk.su> writes:
> Is there standard (platform independent) function for file renaming ? I
> can't find it in RM. I found only Rename_File in the DOS.ADS in the AONIX
> compiler. Need I write this function for each supported platform ?

The only "platform independent" way to deal with a file system is the
"least common denominator" approach such as using the Ada Posix bindings.
Well maybe it isn't "least" common denominator since some OS vendors extend
their support to cover Posix.  VMS seems to be dropping Posix support
due to an overwhelming lack of customers writing to Posix standards.

If you want to handle the full capabilities of each file system, however,
you will have to have some code which is platform specific, or you will
not be able to deal with VMS file versions, Macintosh resource forks,
MVS Indexed data set (I think), CMW labels, etc.  Those are not all
relevant to Rename, per se., but they enter into other file system
activities.

Larry Kilgallen