From: kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: Re: ObjectAda - no clock drift!
Date: 1998/06/17
Date: 1998-06-17T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <6m6f0t$1ue$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, dennison@telepath.com writes:

> The Ada rm in D.8 paragraph 41-43 requires vendors to give "an upper bound on
> the drift rate of Clock with respect to real time." I was curious what my
> Aonix ObjectAda compiler said, so I looked it up.
>
> The documentation Requirements section of the ObjectAda 7.1 NT docs (p 2-9)
> has the following statement:  There is no software clock drift.
>
> What is meant by this? Surely not what I think it's saying!

Since you express surprise, I would concur that it must not be
what you were thinking, whatever that is.

I believe that Aonix is saying that the software they supply
introduces no drift, and if you see drift you should take it
up with Intel (or Cyrix, or AMD).

Since Aonix does not sell hardware, I don't know how much
further they can go (aside from saying you might also take
it up with DEC/Compaq or Samsung, but they don't support
Alpha the last I heard (drift-free or not)).

Larry Kilgallen