From: kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: Re: Smart compilers?
Date: 1998/01/28
Date: 1998-01-28T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <19980128043301.XAA22999@ladder03.news.aol.com>, tconiam@aol.com (TConiam) writes:

>  On the old Alsys 4.4.2 16-bit compiler for DOS our project rules stated that
> we kill and recreate the library anytime we did a system-wide compile.  Our
> 250K SLOC system would compile in under 2 Hours on a 33MHz 386 with a new
> library. With the library starting with the prior version, the compiler spent
> so much time updating the library that it took 12-14 hours!

Using DEC's library-style Ada 83 compiler, I get about 12 minutes for
25K SLOC on an old library where everything is forced to be recompiled.
An example of a recent requirement to recompile everything is where
wording of the copyright statement was changed in every file.

Typical modifications to widely utilized packages compile in less than
20 seconds due to DEC's "smart recompilation" feature, since units that
refer to the modified package only get recompiled if they refer to the
part that got modified.  (I missed the beginning of this thread, and I
apologize if this capability has already been discussed.)

Larry Kilgallen